Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 14-04-2003 , 01:25 AM
SM Alumni
Interesting thread. Not much to add other than that whilst the market is saturated with animators / texture artists and modellers, theres still quite a high demand for TD's (assuming you want to get into film/TV), and its seems that experience isnt quite so high on the priority list.
Games still seems to be the only sector (at least over here) that are willing to take on grads with little/no industry experience, but the starting pay is lousy... i know of a few guys who were on 14-16K after uni, which is great as its a "foot in the door", but come on - living in london on that salary is verging on poverty user added image

# 17 14-04-2003 , 04:00 AM

Originally posted by kal
but come on - living in london on that salary is verging on poverty user added image

Couldn't agree more user added image

Although i remenber searching Monster.co.uk and found a London computer animation/modelling job at a £50k

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 18 14-04-2003 , 07:44 AM
Subscriber
Well hey, thanks for all the replies so far you guys. A lot of my questions have been answered now. As I said in my first post, I think I might become a teacher of Maya or general 3D software. This seems like a sure-fire way to do my favorite thing (Maya) and get paid for it at the same time. I still, however, want to become a modeler for a game company same day even if you do get paid literally nothing most of the time. It has always been my dream, so I'll do whatever it takes to get there.

# 19 14-04-2003 , 03:34 PM
I think your should think about opening a small GC or games company someday user added image

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....