Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 14-04-2003 , 10:14 AM

lotr THE ONE RING

I have i little problem, i want to make the ring from Lord of the rings in MAYA.

I tryd it my self but it wasn't good enough. so can someone tell me or help me find a tutorial. I looked every ware, but i cant find one for MAYA user added image.

thanx for your help. user added image

# 2 14-04-2003 , 10:51 AM
Subscriber
Create a polygonal torus with lots of faces. Make the Mordor letters by creating a plane, using the split poly tool to design it, then extruding the faces back to make them 3D. When you select the faces and choose Edit Polygons>Extrude Face look in the channel box to view what you can make the extrude do. Near the bottom is Keep Faces Tog. Make sure this is set to on so the faces stay together. After you have created all the letters, position them on the ring and boolean. This will create the engraved writings of Mordor onto the ring. As for the shader, I would recommend the gold shader from Denfographics.com.

# 3 14-04-2003 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber
By the way, you would need to deform the torus into the shape of a ring obviously.
Scale X and Z: 1
Scale Y: .25
*Section Radius: .2
*Subdivisions Axis: 50
*Subdivisions Height: 50

*attribute can be found in the channel box inputs for torus.

Another way would be to make an oval curve with the EP Curve tool, a circle, then extrude the curve along the circle with Surfaces>Extrude.

# 4 14-04-2003 , 11:05 AM
I know this has nothing to do with the question and maya but..
the one ring is easier to make in bryce.You write the things in photoshop or another prog on black background.then in bryce, you create a terrain and open the terrain editor. then you choose the pic and you have the writings of Mordor. create a ring and set the boolean type of the ring to positive and of the writings to negative. mm....then the ring is done I think....

# 5 14-04-2003 , 11:18 AM
i guess it is also possible in maya... just use this map as a displacement map and you should get the same result...

# 6 14-04-2003 , 11:33 AM
thanx guys, this will help me a lot :yipee:

# 7 14-04-2003 , 11:46 AM
Subscriber
ahh what you might want to do is:
create the image in photshop then create a shader in the hypershade
make the bump map a file by clicking on the checkered box and applying the file.
set the bump depth to a negative number so it goes in towards the ring

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.
# 8 14-04-2003 , 02:46 PM
Subscriber
You could even just model a plain old gold ring, render it out large, and then take it over to photoshop and bind the text around it with photoshop tools user added image, this would get you a really nice image, but of course you couldnt render off 100 of them for a movie, as you would have to edit each one user added image. So i guess my idea is a bad one. user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 9 14-04-2003 , 02:51 PM
Why not create the Rinf itself with a curve?

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 10 15-04-2003 , 12:32 PM

Originally posted by Darkware
Create a polygonal torus with lots of faces. Make the Mordor letters by creating a plane, using the split poly tool to design it, then extruding the faces back to make them 3D. When you select the faces and choose Edit Polygons>Extrude Face look in the channel box to view what you can make the extrude do. Near the bottom is Keep Faces Tog. Make sure this is set to on so the faces stay together. After you have created all the letters, position them on the ring and boolean. This will create the engraved writings of Mordor onto the ring. As for the shader, I would recommend the gold shader from Denfographics.com.

i cant get te letters wright, i used a nurb, i got the ring form better that way. But i cant get te letters engraved in to the ring. can you or someone els help me with this. user added image

thanx

# 11 15-04-2003 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber
if you used nurbs there are a couple of options.
1 convert to polys then use darkwares method.
2. keep the nurbs and create the text and project the text curves onto the ring - trim the surface to delete the area of the ring surface that is the text - duplicate the projected text curves twice, move the second duplicate back into the ring ad loft between the two duplicated curves.

I ain't very good at explaining things - as you might have gathered user added image

I would go with darkwares method user added image

cheers

Rich
# 12 16-04-2003 , 02:20 AM
This may help ya out......dunno what you have done already....show us some stuff user added image user added image

Attachment included

# 13 16-04-2003 , 02:54 PM
This is what i have, i know its not much, but im still learning allot about shaders and rendering options.

Im still trying to get the letters write, and i also want to reflect the fire in the ring.

Thanx for al the advise user added image

# 14 16-04-2003 , 02:56 PM
sorry forgot to add the image

# 15 16-04-2003 , 03:39 PM
Cool ring o' fire!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com