Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 04-06-2003 , 06:59 AM
Subscriber

Field of Product design

Hi all,

I'm curious about the market out there..... For all you professionals out there, if you are given a project to do a 3d model of a new product design (you have to design the product from your own idea), what are the correct steps or procedures in making a final 3d model? Thank you..

# 2 04-06-2003 , 08:40 AM
Hi Strykernet.

I would first do a lot of concept sketches, and also I would switch software. I would choose Alias|wavefront Studio or designer for this since Maya is more of an animation and film software and Studio is aimed at CAD - and you need CAD like software for designs.

Designs usually should be modeled in NURBS Degree 5 - 7 surfaces and Studio excells in this area. Also Studio exports directly for production in various formats like IGES, STL, PRO/E etc.

anyway.

Create the concept sketches
model the object
export for production

ofcasue you can break down each point in smaller stages with rendering, texturing etc.. but that would basicly cover it..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S
# 3 04-06-2003 , 08:42 AM
Kevin
nice cali! thx

# 4 04-06-2003 , 03:57 PM
Subscriber

cali

Thanks a lot =), That'll give me a better understanding out in the professional field....So i guess usually in this field people tend to use other software other than maya to approach it....

Thank you

# 5 04-06-2003 , 04:07 PM
You could use Maya, but Studio is more aimed at design..

Carsten Lind
Senior 3D Artist,
Maya Software Manager & Maya Instructor
LEGO Systems A/S