Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 17-06-2003 , 12:18 AM
Subscriber

Maya 5 Fundamentals

Maya 5 Fundamentals

user added image

Price: $31.50 (Amazon.com)

Paperback: 450 pages
Publisher: New Riders Publishing; 1st edition (September 10, 2003)
ISBN: 0735713723

I am thinking of ordering this book and I thought I should post my comments here so in case anybody else is interested in it...

The really nice part I see is that they offer CD full of video tutorials (800x600 res) to help us user added image

As for the book we'll be able to create the following:
  • Model, texture, and add paint effects hair to a human head, based on supplied photography (this model is also used for the book's cover)
  • Create a complete architectural scene based on drawings, then light, texture, and render it
  • Learn to use Mental Ray -- new in Maya 5 -- for photorealistic lighting and complex materials
  • Model complex objects -- build a car model from photos using NURBS, then create a realistic rendering of it
  • Learn Maya with an animation of an undersea tour that washes up on a tropical beach

The book is going to be available September 2003

-Emo

# 2 17-06-2003 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
Looks like a cool book I must check this one out!user added image

Never Do Today What You Can Put Off Till Tomorrow..
My New Site MayaFx.com
# 3 17-06-2003 , 11:46 AM
You could just get Maya 4.5 fundamentals which is already out. The difference between the two are small updates. A mention of new features, maybe a new tutorial, but thats about it.

# 4 17-06-2003 , 11:56 AM
Subscriber
I think i'll buy this book when it comes out user added image

whatever!
# 5 17-06-2003 , 12:10 PM

Originally posted by HAL 9000
You could just get Maya 4.5 fundamentals which is already out. The difference between the two are small updates. A mention of new features, maybe a new tutorial, but thats about it.

Hmmm, my bad. 4.5 Fundamentals and 5 are completley different. Sorry...I just read over the book summary. One question...it says the head model was used as the book's cover....why is there no head on the cover?

# 6 24-06-2003 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber

it says the head model was used as the book's cover....why is there no head on the cover?

maybe because cover might not be the final cover? or maybe they mean the backside of the cover - which contains the text and you can see the face at same time?

we have to wait til the book is out to know for sure.

# 7 24-06-2003 , 02:06 AM
I dished out $45 for 4.5 fundamentals. I dont plan on dishing out another $45.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 8 30-06-2003 , 12:37 PM
I already read the 3d Studio Max 5 Fundamentals Book and can REALLY recommend that kind of books. I generally like the New Riders books. I´ll buy this one for sure just to get in touch with Maya.

Sounds great!

# 9 01-07-2003 , 10:22 PM
Kevin

I dished out $45 for 4.5 fundamentals. I dont plan on dishing out another $45.

same as

# 10 26-07-2003 , 08:06 PM
but i wonder why there is so little difference in Maya 4Fundamentals and Maya 4.5Fundamentals

# 11 26-07-2003 , 09:12 PM
Subscriber
Lemm just say that I bought Maya 4.0 Fund and then 4.5 came out - irregardless of that - I found the books to be quite the useless. I wouldn't recommend them. Junky, confusing, and very very superficial and a lot of things I needed to know the book doesn't even cover. You'll learn so little you'll get pissed off. It's a very very newbie book which won't be looked at past a couple of weeks. Mine has not even been looked at since. Stick with the maya online help, online tutorials or

these

JAejin Chon ' s Character animation book. Stupendous!

Maya Savvy 4.5 - confusing as hell but detailed, and makes you think. at least the information is there albeit needing a bit of work to get an understanding.

Maya 4.5 Bible (EXCELLENT) - Probably one of the best generalist ones (but it also goes really detailed into lots of stuff). Cheap, thick and good. The cdrom is screwy on PCs - the tutorial files won't show up on a PC but will on a mac - you can download them from their website or copy the files on a mac and reburn. Excellent.