Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 136 13-09-2003 , 06:14 AM
Alright Brian!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 137 13-09-2003 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
Grats, well deserved. Keep us posted about it, oh and don't forget to model you're truck.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 138 13-09-2003 , 09:50 PM
Whee... another hidden talent about to be recognized! Way to go.. good luck!

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 139 15-09-2003 , 01:38 PM
Thanks guys... I really hope that it works out... Hey... what does it mean when you render with MR and it says no photons emited after 10,000??? its very annoying...Grrr. THanks,
Brian

Please check
My (old) website!
# 140 15-09-2003 , 02:04 PM
Not very familliar, (yet) with MR, but is there some sort of possible "user-controlled-photon-cap" setting in the MR settings that needs to be upped in your case maybe?

I only guess, so don't take my word for it, but I had the idea from seeing the Subd poly conversion cap that was user-controlled.

...I'm most likely full of it, but it's just a thoughtuser added image ??

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 141 15-09-2003 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
If it says "No photons stored after 10000" or something similar, it's a warning that after 10k emissions, no photons were stored in any photonmap. If your scene still looks fine there is no reason to worry (probably a pointlight that shoots half its rays into infinity), but if it comes out black or without GI (or caustics) check for "recieve photons" in the scenes objects. Good luck with the job.

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 142 15-09-2003 , 03:31 PM
thanks for the tips guys... one of the first things it says, its no photons storred...ect then it just kinda stops... so I delete my dome and stuff and made a new one with the same settings, and it works, lol... here is a new displacement test render... I know its not huge mud, but i think it looks decent. Thanks<
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 143 15-09-2003 , 04:58 PM
don't think this looks to good... could use some help/opinions :bow: :bow:

Thanks
Brian

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 144 15-09-2003 , 05:06 PM
Brian,

I love seeing the progress you are making with the truck.

How are you able to get those nice bevels man??

the bevel tool in maya just doesn't cut it for me - it adds extra geometry which messes up the smoothing

what's your secret?

Solomon
Soreel GraFX
https://www.sowl.com
# 145 15-09-2003 , 05:41 PM
well there are two ways of doing it... atleast the way i do.. I use the bevel tool, and make tons of clean up... where it makes those unwanted edges, and verticies? yeah, i know it sucks, and it is very time consuming, or you can do a soften harden edge after you convert to Subd's. For this one I just used the bevel took before I converted to Sub d's so that it would keep the mesh count small in Subd's. THakns,
Brian

unfortunatly...there is no major secrect... just lots of time user added image

Please check
My (old) website!
# 146 15-09-2003 , 05:50 PM
Its a great looking truck so faruser added image could you post a low poly wire?

My Gallery of Previous Work
# 147 15-09-2003 , 06:11 PM
jason,

I tried to access your site... but it doesn't seem to b working?

Please check
My (old) website!
# 148 15-09-2003 , 07:05 PM
hey guys.. by the time i am done with this, you won't be able to tell that i used the photos of my truck that i took... It allready looks totally different. The previous pic was with the modified photo textures, this is with even more dirt, water spots... like it got rained on, and then got muddy again... What do you think?? I will post a close up,
Brian

BTW I am using all entirely seperate specular, diffuse, displacement, bump, Transparancy maps, and reflective maps for each piece of the truck... unfortunatly, it takes forever to load all of them, when rendering a frame in MR

Attached Thumbnails

Please check
My (old) website!
# 149 15-09-2003 , 07:39 PM
Subscriber
The model is as usual awesome.
The mud looks a bit 'hard' more like molten metal (would probably be a very cool molten metal look with some shine, alas I don't think that is what you are after). A more subtle displacement or slight filtering?

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 150 15-09-2003 , 07:47 PM
Subscriber
I think some filtering would "round" the edges a bit thats a good idea bjorn. Although i too know nuthing about displacement so i could be wrong. Why is the colour map white wherever there is mud? Should it not be brown?

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2