Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 18-09-2003 , 05:38 PM

Maya

Hi,

yess i´ve bought a new CRT and now 1600x1200.. yes great user added image BUT Maya runs like on a Pentium 200 Machine. It impossible to move an object in maximized viewplane, even in wireframe mode user added image it nees about 5 seconds to move, and 2 seconds between each frame until its moved where i want the object to be. In 4 Plane view its the same user added image 1280x1024 is just running fine (ok experiencing some problems with maximized Persp Viewplane when i´ve used 4Plane view ahead, need to switch to single persp view, then it runs smooth)

My Configuration
AMD 1333
512 Ram
Geforce 2

I need a new computer user added image But what, can someone recommend me a graphicscard for maya which is capable of giving me some gaming performance too user added image Like a Radeon 9700?? I don´t know user added image And Pentium 4 or AMD 64/Athlon XP?

Please help, its no fun to "work" this way in maya user added image

# 2 18-09-2003 , 06:40 PM
Get a new graphics card, quick! A geforce2 card is about as good at running maya as my dishwasher is!

# 3 18-09-2003 , 07:08 PM

AMMMMMMMM

hi :bgreen:

My PC Pentium 1.700 ,, 512 RAM ,, Display adapters ATI 64MB ..

i used XP PRO and Maya 5.0 version

all okey .

i think u need format ur pc and dont use alot programs .

thanks

# 4 18-09-2003 , 07:15 PM
It IS fresh formatted.. allright.. its a temporary system because i want to test windows 2003 so my XP is not "optimized" but i´ve experienced always some probs with my graphics, for example, if i work for over 5 or 10 hours, the thumbs in hypershade for the materials and the text below the mats, are just plain gray, can´t see anything, same with multilister and so on user added image I´ve read somewhere that GeForce (2?) Cards are not the best choice for maya user added image Oh, yes, the only prog i use simultan is photoshop user added image

# 5 18-09-2003 , 08:15 PM
gef2(ti) are not the best choice, but they pack a very slightly less punch than gefx5200 in terms of ability to move polys (and if you overclok it slightly like mines they pack exacly the same punch...and are stable...) so somethings wrong with your config...

# 6 18-09-2003 , 08:20 PM
Lol dude .. how about 933 Mhz 128 MBs RAm .. no 3d accel.
That one would be mine. :p

# 7 18-09-2003 , 08:53 PM
I think some primitive cards handle maya quite well, my Kyro 2 (HAHAHAHHA) handles maya very well.

# 8 18-09-2003 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
well geforce 2 arent that bad. i had one till about a week ago and it run pretty good. of course it did start to frame and jerk at heavy models but overall it was quite good.

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 9 18-09-2003 , 11:28 PM
@DragonFX:
How do you configure your card? user added image My GF2 was always reliable, i don´t want to buy a card if i don´t have to user added image I´ll do a complete reinstall right NOW, please tell me something about your config user added image

Last edited by Joff; 19-09-2003 at 01:00 AM.
# 10 20-09-2003 , 01:04 AM
well in mi case its a winfast gef2Ti, and it came with a little app that allows you to change the clockspeed at wich the core and ram run... you install latest nvidia drivers, then install it... then get winXP telling you every time you start that that card isnt supposed to run at those speeds, would you like to return to the defaults? , just ignore himuser added image... dunno if it would work for another manufacturer card but you can download it from leadtek(search your manufacturer page to see if it has something for ya)

PD.:you should update if you had the money, it only compares on raw muscle (maya for exampleuser added image), the GfFX5200 packs directX9 features support and lots of hardware shaders etc... which will enable you to play with realtime hardware render shaders and games etc... i would buy a more mid range one like the 5600 or 9700 tough...

# 11 20-09-2003 , 08:06 AM
This has worked for me before...
go to to the card setting> trouble shooting and
turn off all accelerations before running maya
it should transfer the load to your processor.

or if you have a solder gun and 10 minutes
you can turn it into a quadro

or get a new card
Joe

rasterfarian
# 12 20-09-2003 , 09:01 PM
I ran into thsi problem before with my friend wondering why his maya is so slow rotating crap on the view after he installed XP. He has Gf2 as well (all drivers and crap updated btw). we didnt really know how to fix the prob so i gave him my gf3ti500.

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 13 20-09-2003 , 10:39 PM
Thanks for the info user added image Sorry, visited a friend for the weekend, no internet avaiable user added image

-I thought about a 5600 or a 9500/9700 card but i don´t know what´s more suitable for maya (stability, reliability etc) any suggestion or experiences with those cards?

-I´ve tried Softquadro drivers, it´s not the great difference i´ve expected, ok it´s just a software based "i am a quadro" fake.

-Yes, i think the problem´s just with the Geforce 2 GPU user added image

# 14 22-09-2003 , 02:22 PM
Subscriber
Why don't you just mosey on over to the Maya Hardware Qualification List and look at the graphics cards that are compatible with Maya.

https://www.alias.com/eng/support/may...re/index.jhtml

There are many cards based on GeForce256, GeForce2, GeForce3 and GeForce4 chipsets. nVidia and Alias|Wavefront do not recommend these cards for use with Maya 4.5 as you may experience various refresh, display and stability problems and inadequate performance.

Soft Quadro-ing your card WILL make it a Quadro since it enables features on the card that are disabled for the GeForce kind. IT WON'T MAKE THE CARD FASTER but you will not suffer from those things shown in the quote above.

Basically a cheap GPU will be usable, but Maya is a power hungry beast and if you want to get the best out of it you need to invest in machines that are fast with plenty of RAM and compatible GPUs.

Tickety boo and ta ta for a bit...
Gazzamataz
https://www.gazzamataz.com
# 15 22-09-2003 , 06:19 PM
Thanks for the link but i asked here in the forums because:
The list does not include some infos about Geforce FX GPUs (no Quadro) nor Radeon 9x00 Cards. user added image