Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-10-2003 , 06:17 AM

A question about Maya 5.0...

I have a bit of a problem. I have been learning to use Maya throught the PLE version. I love it, a lot!!! Here is my problem.... I believe only the unlimited version of Maya can do fluid effects, fur, and cloth. If I buy Maya Complete is there any way for me to atleast achieve the look of those effects. I mean can I still create something that looks like fur without the fur plugin ( I don't care if it doesn't have all the same features ). Or can I still create an ocean with particles or cloth like materials? user added image

My understanding is that those extra plugins (fluids, fur, etc.) are only tools to speed up something that could be done manually or through a different meathod. So please help me with this. I need to know how long to stock pile money? user added image

Thanks for any help! :bgreen:

I feel so stupid not knowing the answers to my questions.... user added image

# 2 10-10-2003 , 06:22 AM
Subscriber
Hi

There are a few ways to achieve liquid fx using particles. There are also a few plugins around for liquid and fur that might cost cheaper then buying maya unlimited.

MSN: mizin_alex@hotmail.com
E-MAIL: mizina@alphalink.com.au
# 3 10-10-2003 , 06:26 AM
If there are any plugins that simulate the Maya Unlimited ones I'd love to know where to get them.... I just wish Unlimited didn't cost so much. I really would like to try some of those plugins out. user added image

Any more information would prove most usefull.

# 4 10-10-2003 , 06:36 AM
The Maya Mountain
they are actual effects only able to be done in Unlimited. you can attempt to simulate fur and such with paintfx, but it is unlikely it would look quite as good.

# 5 10-10-2003 , 04:09 PM
Okay.... yet another question then... what particle effects can I achieve using Maya Complete? ... like can I make fire, waterfalls, rain, tornados, etc. Just give me an idea of what kind of effects I can expect to achieve. I still haven't taken the time to learn about particles so I know very little about their uses. user added image

Can you achieve better or more particle effects in Unlimited... like can you do spray in complete but only in unlimited can you do an ocean surface? Or if I wanted to create fields of swaying grass it could only be done in Unlimited?

I guess what I've been getting at is what are the real advantages of Unlimited? Could someone write plug-ins that mimic those of Unlimited in Maya Complete? Or does alias have it set up so that those types of plugins only work in Unlimited. I mean I don't think Pixar used the fur plugin for Monsters Inc. They must have written their own.

Also (sorry about all these questions, I like to be well informed on such an expensive software purchase. ) Are there better rendering options in Unlimited or is Complete just as good as far as that is concerned?

If I'm getting annoying let me know... I'm just interested in getting a good deal. I don't wan't to feel sorry later.

# 6 10-10-2003 , 04:44 PM
Subscriber
you can achieve all the stuff you mentioned with particles in Maya complete but it is a bit complicated alot of expressions must be creted to simulate that stuff.

Maya unlimited offers Fluid effects its not an addon to particles but a totally diffrent dynamic in Maya. you can simulate gasses, liquids easier.

Kbrown has a water simulation that is completly done in Maya Complete.

# 7 10-10-2003 , 04:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
Don't think of Unlimited's features as plugins. They are entire systems unique to that version of Maya. While Max tends to require lots of plugins for stuff like liquid, fur, etc, Maya generally packs that stuff in, depending on the version.

# 8 10-10-2003 , 05:16 PM
Yeah... I grew to dislike 3ds Max very much. I actually owned it R3 and R4. Arg. I will use Maya from now on... I like it so much better. :bgreen:

user added image

So in Maya complete I could still simulate gasses and water it is only more work involved? (Like an animated texture for gasses, etc.)

The reason I ask about particles is because I still wan't to be able to create oceans with spray and wake from boats, etc. Interesting environments that can be streamlined with the use of particle systems. I've been looking at too many movies worked on by ILM lol.

I see... Well I should rephrase my question about plug-ins then user added image.

Is it possible to write plug-ins that will simulate the systems that are available in Maya Unlimited for Maya Complete? And if not, is there still a way for me to make little furry critters without paint fx? I mean fur that can be animated. Perhaps renderable splines? user added image.

I hope my questions aren't redundant it's just that it seems that most everyones answers are extremely vauge. If there is a place where I can get detailed information on what can and can't be done with Maya Complete by all means post it :bgreen:. (please don't post Alias user added image )

Although it would be saddening to find out that Complete is in some way limited. I don't see why someone couldn't add features to Complete that although not as simple to use or as robust as the ones in Unlimited could still get the job done.

$2000 or $7000... why!!! user added image

# 9 10-10-2003 , 06:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
You have to remember Maya is production software. It is designed, priced, and marketed to studios. Not to individual people.

I suppose it is possible to create plugins to do that stuff. I wouldn't know how, though.

Particles, as far as I know, are in Complete to their full extent, so whatever particle effect you needed, Complete should be fine for.

I wouldn't know how to do fur aside from PaintFX, though. Except maybe lots of small cylinders or something.

# 10 10-10-2003 , 06:32 PM
Thanks mtmckinley and others... you've been lots of help...

One last request. I found this website with plugins for Maya tell me what you think about them.

https://www.areteis.com/

Have a look at Psunami for Maya from these guys. It's no fluid effects I'm sure but it looks promising.

And lastly what version of Maya are you guys using?

(Complete or Unlimited, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, let me know)

Thanks again.

...and that is how I saved the world.

Last edited by dockode; 10-10-2003 at 06:37 PM.
# 11 13-10-2003 , 10:48 AM
Subscriber
you can probably acheive a fur-like effect by skillfully using curves or something. I've never tried it myself, but I have seen that sort of thing used to create a simple feather (I think it was mumbojumbo13 who did it, but i can't be sure). To make life easier when using it as fur you'd probably need to do some fiddling with MEL.

Hey, by the way dockode, don't feel bad about asking lots of questions. Asking questions is the best way to learn, and that's why this forum exists.

Take a glance at my <a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9428"><b>Porsche 959</b></a> WIP

Last edited by -<{ JB }>-; 13-10-2003 at 10:53 AM.
# 12 13-10-2003 , 05:47 PM
Thanks JB.

Yeah I was thinking about using MEL to do something with curves.

I think I've pretty much settled on buying Maya Complete 5.0 seeing as how it is the only version I can currently afford and it is still the best 3d program around (for me anyway). I guess when future versions come out and I have the money I might get the Unlimited version.

I currently have an opportunity to use Maya 4.5 until I have all the money I need. What would we do without friends? It might take a few months (hehe), I'm trying to get my self a new car too (my current car doesn't know that I don't have enough money to keep repairing it user added image ).

...and that is how I saved the world.