Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 01-11-2003 , 06:49 PM

Skinned normals on refferenced model turn black when deformed.. help!!

Hi.

I have a rather urgent problem with a character that I'm rigging:

I have the model in a separate scene, that is refferenced into the scene where I rig. There I assign all of my blends, clusters and skinning.

I noticed something funny when I skinned the model: The materials disapered form the mesh. I found it to be an artifact of refferencing the mesh into to the scene. To fix it, I just reassigned the materials after applying the skinning.

Now that I'm allmost through I find that when I turn the model eg. 180 in Y, it turns all black! Also in the render. I tried setting the normals to facing when the model is truned 180, and that solves the problem.. Until I go back to Y=0, and she's black again.

If I apply a poly smooth, with divisions set to 1 or higher, there is no problem, but it gets quite impossible to animate on.

Can somebody tell me what's going on? And how to fix it maybe?! My deadline is in 3 days!

Thanks,
Nenox

# 2 01-11-2003 , 07:07 PM
The Maya Mountain
can't say I've heard of that before.

# 3 01-11-2003 , 11:10 PM
Subscriber
I've seen this before, I think.
Have you tried, normals - conform?