Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 08-11-2003 , 04:20 PM

Basketball commercial teaser

Well this is exactly what the threads name is a basketball commercial teaser. I was given a 10 sec spot for a way to announce up coming games for our school. This animation will be in the back and after it stops the real information will be displayed. Unfortunately, I don't know when the games are yet so it stop after the basketball.

Well any ways, tell me what you think of the basketball.
Divx 5.0.3

Attached Files
File Type: zip b_ball.zip (355.6 KB, 283 views)

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 2 09-11-2003 , 05:38 PM
user title spammer
looks nice so far,
what i would change:

- the basketball should rotate a bit, its movement looks to perfect the way it is now

- wood doesn´t reflect like that, the reflection shouldn´t be that clean and should diffuse as the basketball is in a bigger distance

But the ball looks very nice, the specular lightning is perfect, just as a basketball looks like

# 3 09-11-2003 , 06:03 PM
The Maya Mountain
I agree, it definitely needs some rotation.
You might also consider an ambient light or some sort of fill light so the shadow isn't 100% black as it is.
What kind of final composition will it be? Text of some kind?

# 4 09-11-2003 , 11:21 PM
The final composition will have either 2D text or a 3D still, most likely, and will display the date, time and place of the game.

About the rotation, I made the ball bounce dynamically, is there a way I can key those frames and add rotation?

mahalo,

Myk

<a href="https://www.metic.net" rel="noopener noreferrer nofollow" class="giveMeEllipsisa" target="_blank">www.metic.net</a><br />
# 5 09-11-2003 , 11:39 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can give it a tad initial velocity, but need to be careful as you can find some pretty unpredicatable results. That's the beauty of dynamic, though. user added image

# 6 11-11-2003 , 08:14 AM
user title spammer
there is something like rotation in the dynamics too, you can key that value or give it initial rotation ...

# 7 24-11-2003 , 11:40 AM
I agree, nice ball, I was thinking maybe 4 way spot lights as well, would maybe cast some nice shadows that you perhaps get in a b ball stadium.

I am not worthy!
# 8 24-11-2003 , 12:02 PM
Subscriber
One of the things I noticed that others hasn't cought yet was the ball dosn't change shap enufe.. its filled with air. as it is now it looks a bit to static.. I'm hopeing the rotation on the ball will help.. it also might help a little if you have the flor that the ball hits just a little under the displayed floor.. maybe just for the first bounce.. that would add to the ilution just a little with out much work. after the first bounce you could just key frame the active floor up some..

that would work, right guys ??

# 9 24-11-2003 , 12:03 PM
Subscriber
OH yeah.. very cool spot ! I love the wood grain.. good texture find..

# 10 16-12-2003 , 07:24 PM
Subscriber
Very nice, dunno if the ball would need to lose shape a lil with such a small bounce tho...looks good to me...yea a lil rotation would be neat...really nice though.

"Hear That Thunder"!!
# 11 16-12-2003 , 09:36 PM
Sorry for the delay. I have been sick(still am) and now have exams. I am having some troubles getting it to spin, but I will try to figure it out.

mahalo,

Myk

# 12 27-12-2003 , 12:05 PM
Looking good keep it up!

-------------------------------------------