Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 24-03-2005 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber

chrome shader

Can anyone explain to me how to make a good chrome shader. The chrome, in my case, will look like shiny metal. I will appreciate links to pre-made shaders but I would prefer to have an explanation on how to make one.

I'm not a geek. I'm a nerd.

msn - g1842@hotmail.com
I'm up for a chat anytime.
# 2 26-03-2005 , 05:10 PM
same here. I just can't get rip of that dull grey look with some raytrace reflection on my objects user added image
I'm just too new to these Maya shader networks to figure it out by chance.

# 3 28-03-2005 , 10:08 PM
Subscriber
to make a chrome shader, all you have to do in make reflections and refractions to maximum and adjust specular settings (not too high or it will look wierd)

https://www.highend3d.com/files/dl.3d...p&file_id=1827

this file has metal/chrome shaders -very good- just download the shaders, install and disect the settings- this way you can gain a better understanding of the settings used.

# 4 29-03-2005 , 01:40 AM
I already see a few nice shaders there .. thanks for the link user added image

# 5 29-03-2005 , 08:12 AM
metal and chrome is less about the shader and more about the environment. You will never get nice metal until you have a nice environment to reflect. So find an envmap and then apply that and re-try and see how it goes. Turning reflection all the way down to start with and then pulling it back up is a good way to go about it.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 6 29-03-2005 , 08:33 PM
appreciate it. user added image