Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 03-01-2006 , 12:37 AM
Subscriber
well, ive given another method of modeling a go. i used the create poly tool to make an outline of the head and am exttruding from that. I have made a projected image on the model so i can see if it is going in the right direction.

Attached Thumbnails

"If Less is more then think how much more more would be..."

Winner June 2009 Spaceship Challenge
# 17 03-01-2006 , 01:09 AM
Subscriber
An update

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 03-01-2006 , 05:03 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Dude
if you want free, then learn here. https://mr2k.3dvf.net/ its a very well known tute called Joan of Arc. I think even my nan has done it!!

Jay

# 19 03-01-2006 , 05:20 PM
one suggestion would be to not map any file into your shadercolor. just stick to a bright lambert or a blinn. that way you have a clearer impression of proportion and surface condition. jesus! your avatar is really scary. can´t stop staring at him.. scary!

in case it is YOU - I didn´t want to be offensive!! but this pic is really scary!

# 20 03-01-2006 , 07:52 PM
Subscriber
I think it would save you tons of time, if you just bought 3-5 parts (where they make the heads) of the Gi soldier or Ninja tut. that would only cost about 20 bucks, and i promise you it will make life alot easier. not trying to be a walking commecial for simplymaya tuts, but if you are serious about using maya then it's the best thing in my opinion.

Maya 4 ever baby!
# 21 03-01-2006 , 08:42 PM
Yeah Iwas going to mention those, but he did say free, and as I didnt know how old he was either its difficult to judge what people can and cant have/afford. Yeah but by all means buy the GI tute(mine) or Kurts Ninja dude.

Jay

# 22 03-01-2006 , 10:41 PM
Subscriber
Masn45: I am about a year under the minimum age to get a job so i have been saving all of my spare money in my piggy bank to get a book on carachter moddeling user added image .

Jay: Thanxs for the joan of arc tut user added image Are there any others like that?

Falott: LOL, thats not actually me in the avatar, i look the complete oppisite of it user added image

# 23 03-01-2006 , 10:55 PM
how old are you some guy?

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 24 03-01-2006 , 11:01 PM
ANd, that Joan of arc thing is in french, why? is there an english button?

www.joopson.com
# 25 03-01-2006 , 11:05 PM
Subscriber
I'm 14, also to translate the page find it in google and click on the translate button.

# 26 03-01-2006 , 11:05 PM

ANd, that Joan of arc thing is in french, why? is there an english button?

Because the dude is French that own the site. Its not like you need the written word on that tute as theres pictures every step of the way and youd have to be a complete idiot not to understand the images

Jay

# 27 03-01-2006 , 11:06 PM
oh, lol, well for a newb like me it is pretty hard, lol, but ill try! thanx,
Andy

www.joopson.com
# 28 03-01-2006 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
The only prob is that it's for 3D studio, that makes it a bit hard for the texturing part.

# 29 03-01-2006 , 11:53 PM
Subscriber
Hey Some Guy,

Looks like you're attempting to patch model, with extruding edges around your reference

Maybe try working on a specific part of the head like the eye for example. Keep at it for several attemps untill you feel happy with that area and then move onto something else, nose, mouth and eventually ear... then you can fill in the gaps to make a complete model. The Eye is always a good place to start....

here is an example of how I model, this is by no means the right way to do it, nor is it the only way, but maybe it will be of some use to you...

here you will see the significance of having good referance images to begin with.

Start off by creating a polygon around the eye area
user added image

View in the side plane and move the verticies into to fit with the curvature of the eye... try to visulise where the point is in the side view from its position in the front view!
user added image

Continue to build up the surface by extruding the edges of your polygon again using your side view to move each vert into roughly the correct position
user added image

Keep doing this to build up the surface
user added image

Smoothed version of the above...
user added image

Eventuall as you continue you can build up the surface quickly and accurately to conform to your referance images
user added image

I can't stress enough how important it is to have good referance to model to, especially in the early stages of learning.

I tried my hand at other techniques but found this one worked for me. This however was my "cup of tea" and its up to you to find your own way of doing things.

hope this helped,

Cheers

Jamie.

# 30 04-01-2006 , 12:45 AM
Subscriber
Ive given that method a try before (The second really crappy face in this tread) , and it turned out looking bad, I like the way i'm doing it because i get a basic shape of the face to work of other than my reference images. But thanxs anyway. user added image I might give that way a try in my next model. If you check the challenge forum you'll see a model that i'm making of my brother and i'm doing it the same way as this one and it has turning out that way i like it.