Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 106 10-02-2006 , 09:48 AM
19 year Veteran
Just some helpful notes for you to consider if you don't mind me saying. Be careful of too much intersecting geometry on your model, it will take longer to render out. I have alot of intersecting geometry on my still in progress projector model, and with my Mental Ray render settings, it takes a while to render out. Some might dissagree with me on this though.

# 107 10-02-2006 , 09:56 AM
Thanks for the useful info THX1138 user added image

The only intersecting points should be the teeth and eyes. Everything else should be clean and together as a unit. Maybe if I get time I'll go back and join the teeth to the gums as it will probably look more realistic (as long as I bump around the joining edge).

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 108 11-02-2006 , 11:32 AM
just perfect

# 109 11-02-2006 , 04:21 PM
Hey T1ck! Great work!!

I was just admiring your teeth! They are looking excellent! And the way that you have the tounge lying on the teeth is very effective. No crits from me!

user added image

# 110 12-02-2006 , 03:46 PM
hey guys, thanks for the comments user added image

I've been playing with paintFX fur/hair for two days now and its still a bit crazy. I quite like it but it is frustratingly hard to get exactly what you are after.
After numerous practices/attempts/retrys I've finally got a little control and have been able to start a test run on applying some generic paintfx fur (based on the furBunny brush)
Here's a bit around the mouth and starting on the nose.

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull21a.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 111 12-02-2006 , 04:14 PM
Subscriber
looks like its gonna be hard man. Good luck!
great work on the mouth area so far user added image

# 112 12-02-2006 , 04:18 PM
i dunno if this will help u out, but what i would do is make a exact copy of yer model make it transparent and apply the fur to that, its easier to chage stuff + u can mess around with it more

# 113 12-02-2006 , 04:23 PM
arggggh, its good, but all pfx fur is just bad...IMHO.......pfx fur is like a cheap maya fur:hug:

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 114 12-02-2006 , 04:36 PM
Subscriber
Hey tick, a nice jaw-gum-teeth work so far dude.

About fur, I would suggest maybe trying the amazing Shave and a Haircut from Joe Alter in place of PFX. There are trials for every Maya 6>7 versions. Though I never used it within Maya, I really had pleasure using it under C4D. Cool tool that is man user added image , and really efficient , in no time.

Here's the link if you want having a go with it : https://www.joealter.com/newSite/trial.htm

Regards, Py.

Last edited by Pyrus; 12-02-2006 at 04:41 PM.
# 115 12-02-2006 , 08:05 PM
definately hard magicsy, it just doesnt want to do what I tell it. Thanks for the comments user added image

It's handling things ok at the minute jhubbard, I'm knocking the display quality right down in the viewports and its a little slow but not too bad. Good tip to try though user added image

I know what you mean joopson about ~£3000 cheaper than maya fur but not nearly as nice looking

Thanks for the info pyrus, I've already got the demo downloaded and installed (looked at it yesterday when paintFX was being a pain). Think I need to rtfm though as it looks a bit baffling at the minute! user added image
Any tutorial links for it would be great!

www.flash-fx.net
# 116 13-02-2006 , 03:03 PM
Subscriber
Hey t1ck,

Got smthg for ya (and myself hehehe).
Well, it's in french but having some visual idea of the base process is a good starting point user added image

https://www.magikland.net/tuto/shave_tuto.avi
The main point is that he advises using polys and goes all way long with one simple poly example, not said, but prolly for unwraps.

(ps : what I think is weird in the way he starts , he just doesn't simply dupplicates the polys , to get a simpler hairsurface, well, only point different from what I remember. Hehehe, I just think it's dangerous working this way on the primary mesh).

But you could parse the documentation at same url ( https://www.joealter.com/newSite/softloads/Manual.pdf , probably already done ....) as the tuto, with what i've gone through, doesn't say more than what's inside the PDF.
Plus the tuto doens't explain nor show any of the mapping techniques to get haircut density, color variations and so on, but this is as always, a question of a unwrap, by which you can then apply your grayscale maps as "multipliers".

Well, all is really inside the pdf t1ck.
I'm eager to test it too :blush: under Maya, but i'm on smthg else I would finish.

Regards, Py.

Last edited by Pyrus; 13-02-2006 at 03:05 PM.
# 117 16-02-2006 , 05:05 PM
cheers pyrus, the extra info will definately be helpful.

I've been off on a break this week hence the lack of postings but on the way there and back (on the train - again user added image ) I delved into shave and a haircut and love it! It gives you all the control you lack in paintFX and definately gives good results. Here's one I'm currently playing with. Its patched up on various areas (probably not the best way but you have to learn somewhere) and still needs lots of tweaking but I'm happy with the initial test results.
I'm going to add a cut and density map onto it (tested and they give you some cool control) to thin the nose and upper lip areas and then tint the colour a little to see how it responds.
I'd say £400 for this is a snip and if I ever get into professional 3D then this would be a definate addition to my toolset user added image
- Better get it finished before the demo expires user added image

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull22a.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 118 16-02-2006 , 05:32 PM
here's the UVmap I mentioned arran, not great but the final outcome of playing with planar and peltmapping.

bottom left are the ears, bottom is the inner mouth (peltmapped) and on the right is the tongue

I should have split the nose area down the middle and not on wither side but you live and learn user added image

https://www.flash-fx.net/3D/images/po...r/skull22b.jpg

www.flash-fx.net
# 119 16-02-2006 , 05:57 PM
Thanks T1ck!! That is really helpful - I don't think I should have made my model quite so complicated! It is really good to see how someone else handles the UVs.

Your model is looking great by the way. It's going to look cool once it is all furred up.

We should get all of our models together once finished - Bjork and her beasts!!

# 120 16-02-2006 , 06:55 PM

Originally posted by arran
We should get all of our models together once finished - Bjork and her beasts!!

Hahahaha! Great man!

Great work with Shave and haircut, t1ck135. That image with grid is a render or a screen capture? Fur is getting very well. but the interior of mouth is looking too smooth. A bump or displacement map will give this part more sense of realism. I hope you can make your model look like a real bear. Good luck with Shave and Haircut.