Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 91 20-02-2006 , 09:33 PM
Oh, yeah, legolas_hv, that's the spirit! It seems nowadays people have to do everything just the same way. If you don't agree, they say you're weird. F*ck'em all, just like you said. People here in Brazil have a great prejudice against anime fans, for example. Man, what's the matter! I'm a huge anime fan and in ten years, I have seen people looking at me with funny, because that. Oh c'mon! Respect!
Rock music is great, altough I'm not a real fan. I like a little things like Iron Maiden, and Sepultura. These guys are good. But I prefer alternative music like Bjork does. She's original, and this is just what's fascinating about her.

Hey THX1138! This is exactly the video that made me fall in love with Bjork. Great choice!

# 92 20-02-2006 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
I suggest we stop however because we might piss some people off...

My password is ********.
# 93 20-02-2006 , 11:08 PM

Hu-hoh...

Ok, dudes. I sculpted the hair, mainly front parts, and painted texture partially, to see how it would look.

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_36.jpg

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_37.jpg

I have two BIG problems here:

1. Maya is smoothing my sculpt on hair. This would be fair in other places, but is just the opposite I want to hair.

2. I'm using the same material for entire head. It would be great if I could assign a proper material for hair. But I don't know anyone.

If I could use Photoshop to do some painting on hair, problem would be finished. But I can't, so... Well, I think I would go back for Maya Hair. Unless someone could give me a good suggestion.

# 94 21-02-2006 , 01:33 AM
Subscriber
all i can say is that the second one looks like Bjork. The first one kinda does. If someone told you it was Bjork you would know right away but not if you just looked at it.

My password is ********.
# 95 21-02-2006 , 03:32 PM
19 year Veteran
If I could use Photoshop to do some painting on hair, problem would be finished. But I can't, so... Well, I think I would go back for Maya Hair. Unless someone could give me a good suggestion.

Could you clarify that a bit more please?

# 96 21-02-2006 , 04:44 PM
What I mean is to render an image like the last one, and do some digital painting over it, using Photoshop. But in this contest we aren't suposed to do something like that, we have to get our images from a 3d render. So, I have to find a way to do this using only 3D methods.

# 97 21-02-2006 , 05:38 PM
cool progress jramauri, I'm really digging the hair modelling - a little maya hair or shave and cut strands sat on top would really bring out the realism! user added image

I think the eyebrows stay a little too fat along to the end compared to the reference shot and makes them take a little too much prominance in the shot.
The inner nostrils are also looking a little puffed out compared to the reference and could probably do with thinning down a little bit.
The lipstick is a little bright and makes the mouth look a little more pouty than the reference but that might be what you're after user added image

keep at it, its getting better with each update user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 98 22-02-2006 , 10:54 PM
Yeah, I am really impressed with your work jramauri. I think that both of the images are looking pretty close to bjork. You have done a great job! :attn:

The only area that I am not sure about is the eyes. Are the pupils a little too big? I can't put my finger on it and if you don't see anything, maybe you should just ignore me!

Great work!user added image

# 99 23-02-2006 , 06:12 AM
Your sculpted hair works quite well. Nice job!

The main problem I am having is the lack of any real shadows. I think you end up losing a lot of detail and the facial structure ends up looking flat. Without the proper shadows the eyes end up looking almost flush with the rest of the face.

All in all, I think this is very close to where it needs to be.

Dave

# 100 23-02-2006 , 07:30 PM
t1ck135: Thanks. I repainted some areas, like eyebrows to match my reference picture. It looks better now. And I've made some other refinements, based on your notes.
arran: I have to repaint these eyes textures too. But I'll take care of that just when I solve the main problems with this image.
swankymonkey: I forgot to turn on the shadows on last render... But they are back now. Like you! Hahaha!

Well, as you fellows approved my "modeled hair", I will keep with it, and let simulated hair for a next challenge. I made some minor changes, and this is the result:

https://www.amauriilustra.com.br/CGTalk/Bjork_39.jpg

I believe some painting on hair (color, spec, overall_color) will make it looks more real.

I need some help here
1. Why the skin isn't casting shadows over the eyes? Both surfaces use SSS materials.
2. Why right eyelashes aren't equal to left, if they are reflected instances? (Both are PFX strokes)

# 101 23-02-2006 , 07:42 PM
That is looking cool. user added image

The background image is working really well with the face. The colour is a good contrast to the skin and really adds to the directness of her face. The lipstick color is also better.Sorry I can't help with the problems you mentioned. Well done!

# 102 24-02-2006 , 08:38 AM
You're definately getting in the groove. Keep going, dude. The new lighting and softer color scheme makes a big difference.

# 103 24-02-2006 , 03:36 PM
definately looking better jramauri user added image
I think if you touch up the eyes and add more highlighted contrast to the hair then it'll be good to go!

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net
# 104 24-02-2006 , 03:57 PM

Good

This ones definitly is going to win, you doing really good. user added image

-Aric
Nemo hic adest illius nominis.
www.aricstudios.net.tc
www.aricstudios.com
# 105 24-02-2006 , 04:56 PM
the eyes are flat, look at reference of eyes. the thing that "sells" them are the little white highlights you get and reflections.

the skin looks too plastic. The big soft spec hit in the middle of the forehead is very off putting

user added image
A

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB