Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 16 24-02-2007 , 05:35 PM
that link is a load of nothing, lol

Vista runs my Maya way faster, and same with other programs..

i love vista, i suggest it if your computer is good enough, haha

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 17 25-02-2007 , 06:54 PM
Hi all,

Just a word from Kuweekee again... i know... i've been absent...... but the reason for that was windows vista.

A friend of mine and me both installed Vista. I installed the 32 bit ultimate edition, and the friend installed the 64 bit ultimate edition.

My computer booted up after install, and the only thing that i needed to install was my mouse driver ( and with the lack of vista drivers i installed it under xp compatible mode, so no problems there) and my audio driver.

My friend however installed his computer, same missing drivers as me, so he installed his sound driver, and he got his first Blue screen of death (hereafter BSOD). he de-installed the driver, and once again he got a BSOD. he de-installed his video driver, since he downloaded the one from nvidia, instead of using the windows driver. he still gets BSOD's when playing games.

To make a long story short, since it took almost a week before we solved it......

His computer was on an automatic 5% overclocked mode, he set it back to no overclocking, and it works like a charm.

So a tip when changing to vista.... don't overclock your system when u're running 64 bit version of vista.

And about loss of performance. i installed maya, and a couple of games where i can see the fps. and i went down from 89 fps to about 74 fps, so it does use more resources. but then again, like nvidia website says : They had 3 years to perfect the drivers for xp, and they only had 2 month to do it for the vista drivers.

Final conclusion :

If u don't mind running 10 fps slower, and have a mean machine... and checked the internet if all drivers are available for windows vista, then i would advise to switch.

if u have less than 2 gig of RAM, don't get the ultimate edition.... since it almost takes up 500 mb of ram just to run Airo.

Greets,

Kuweekee

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 18 28-02-2007 , 10:41 AM
Subscriber
hey Kuweekee, great to see you back... havnt chatted to you in ages...

in my life ived probably had about 60+ BSOD and i dont know if this will work with your friend or anyone else but it was for some reason because of my harddrive, the connection was abit lose and didnt fit right for some odd reason... soo after disconnecting and reconnecting it works fine untill a week later.(got new cables soo no problem anymore)

thats my two sense worth if anyone has been getting BSOD lately user added image

XP for the win user added image

# 19 28-02-2007 , 11:09 AM
Hey Marlon,

The HDD's in the computer were bought the day before the install, and so were all the cables, but we solved it by going to non-overclock mode in the bios.

So for anyone who's running vista : DON'T OVERCLOCK YOUR CPU!!!

01001011011101010111011101100101011001010110101101 10010101100101
# 20 28-02-2007 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
"The HDD's in the computer were bought the day before the install, and so were all the cables, but we solved it by going to non-overclock mode in the bios."

yeah thats good you solved it user added image

# 21 17-03-2007 , 05:11 AM
I am not planning on ever upgrading to Vista at this time. From what I have read and seen Vista is much slower at unless you have 2 gigs+ of ram and a really fast CPU. I spend money on high end parts so that I can run PS, Maya and Games fast, Not the memory hogging OS running in the background.

As for Aero, yeah it looks cool but Macs have had that stuff for years and if you don't like the silly XP themes then use "Utheme patcher" it's free and only takes about 5 megs of ram, plus you can choose from thousands of themes from deviant art etc.

Any way my next OS will be Mac leopard when it comes out, it's 64 bit, looks cool, no driver probs, can dual boot XP, and best of all no anti virus apps running in the BG taking up precious RAM. Why can't Microsoft get their act together and make an OS that looks cool works even better than it looks and runs efficiently? user added image
Well that's my rant for the day.

No offence to anyone who just bought Vista I hope that it works out great for you. user added image

RAM disk is not an installation procedure.
# 22 18-03-2007 , 01:44 PM
Senior Software Developer
Well I took the plunge and I have install Vista onto my Laptop (Intel Centrino 1.7Ghz, 512Mb RAM). It runs well enough and looks nice. I wont be using it on my Desktop as I have too many apps to run that may (and probably ain't) Vista compatible.

Despite my crits of it before I have to retort that it is not that bad as long as you are not using it to use Aero 3D.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)