Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 46 27-04-2007 , 10:50 PM

render tip...

Your model is comming along fine.

Don't get to side tracked by scale. I have learned from experience that reference drawings are not always perfect. You will find that a little later on in this tutorial that he just pulls the vertices around to fit the balljoint.

Also the wrist end of the forarm has to be changed. It's a simple fix but these things are common. You always have to be prepared to go back and change things you have done earlier.

In fact you are in for a big surprise when you go to assemble all the individual parts as there are some serious errors in proportion. The upper arm for instance should be 4 units in length and the forearm roughly 3 units. As drawn they are roughly equal so you have to make some adjustments during the assembly phase or the model just won't look correct. The upper arm is also to wide and makes her look more like a him. Remember deform>lattice, soft modification tool, and the dreaded sculpt poly-tools are your friends.

It should also be noted that this is another reson why depending to much on subd's alone can be problematic. If you have to switch back to poygons to sculpt the model for any reason you lose all your hierarchical subd creasing and all your refined mesh tweaks.

Your renders could be a little brighter. Here is a fast an easy setup.

1. create a simple nurbs plane (default lambert shader) to be the ground.

2. go to camera attributes open the environent tab and assign a light color to the background. (pale blue almost white for instance)

3. go to the render globals and select mental ray as your renderer

4. in the mentalray tab select the raytrace finetrace preset

5. enable final gather

No lights are required. This will give a clean well lit render without shadows. Just a note on the shaders on your model. Select a color much darker then you see in shaded mode. Light colors will be blown out otherwise, then the renders go from being to dark to over saturated.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,
Rick M.

Last edited by ctbram; 28-04-2007 at 12:36 AM.
# 47 28-04-2007 , 03:02 PM
Subscriber
thanks Rick, that has to be one of the most succinct and useful crits I have ever seen here.., (well come to think of it, there had been quite a few good ones user added image )

all great advice, i was wondering where everyone was?? (hence some rather bizarre dialogue from me :bandit:, But I could see by the counter people were 'watching!'

I dont mind the faulty proportions as I find mistakes a useful way to learn, and have already noticed quite a few myself, it doesn't surprise me that the units are so far out. Thanks for bringing my attention to 'her' upper arm.., was this me or the tut I wonder?? I have already taken things into my own hands in tentative ways with this tut, but Im expecting to trip myself up as maybe there is some tool or something down the track that must be implemented.., and this work flow is designed for that; but from what you tell me its all just simply bad proportion from the start, not a work flow thing!

the renders.., I'm really happy you have given me a simple way to use mental ray (the dreaded). Next time I will use this method.., as of today.., its an essay for uni on Web site design (and I have used SM as an example of a good design, its a comparative essay, I hope the boys dont mind; Dave and tubby and the others guys)

You are suggesting lattices to refine features?? because its sub_ds, or is this a way you find efficient?

user added image

M user added image

take it easy and life will be easy
# 48 29-04-2007 , 05:32 PM

Originally posted by mirek03

...You are suggesting lattices to refine features?? because its sub_ds, or is this a way you find efficient?

Well I use lots of tools to make changes. I use scale and pushing as my first choice. Then lattice deformers. Then soft modification and the dreaded sculpt tool (both of which shoulc be renamed the lumpy_bumpy_tool since it usually makes a total mess of my models).

But my choice of the lattice deformer is not related to subd. It's just an easy way to put a cage around a torso and reshape it. With the lattice deformer and about 5 minutes of work I made a standard and large chested version of Alexia (which I lovingly refer to as Breast-zilla). :smile:

There is one thing about this tutorial that does affect / limit how you can refine the model in the assembly phase. That is the method that is used to create the panel affect of Alexia's torso. It uses subd partial and full creasing and you have to spend a lot of time picking lots of edges. Once the model has been creased in this way you can no longer convert the model to polygons or you lose all the subd creasing and have to pick all those edges again and that is a major time sync.

Last edited by ctbram; 29-04-2007 at 05:40 PM.
# 49 01-05-2007 , 10:16 AM
Subscriber
had tons of work two commeriacls for TV, one essay, a 60 sec mobile phone movie, a portrait doco (4 min) due in two weeks, a web page and never built one before, blah blah, had to write two 30 second jingles for the TVCs, one I did this morning at the last moment, only found out about the change last night??
anyway, Ill be going into the torso tonight, decided its time to do a bit more and stuff uni for a few hours.., i did the render in mental ray, I like the reflection on the leg from the hand.., looks great this render style

cheers and thanks

Attached Thumbnails

# 50 01-05-2007 , 10:56 AM
Subscriber
its a lot of edges, I wish 'grow contiguous edges' worked in this case

# 51 01-05-2007 , 02:12 PM
Subscriber
starting on 'torso'...??

Attached Thumbnails

# 52 01-05-2007 , 03:33 PM
Subscriber
an hour or so later?? lost in time, distracted somehow..??

Attached Thumbnails

# 53 01-05-2007 , 04:52 PM
Senior Software Developer
supple and shapely :attn:

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 54 02-05-2007 , 03:22 AM
Subscriber
so you are lurking out there r@nSD user added image thanks, I put a lot of time, effort and memory into that (sad but true, memory that is!).

I'll venture forward as uni allows.

user added image

# 55 02-05-2007 , 03:55 AM
Senior Software Developer
I suppose someone has to keep an eye on you user added image.

Good work on this so far m8. I love working with Sub-D. Its better than NURBS imho.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 56 02-05-2007 , 04:54 AM
Subscriber
im at the uni cafe at the moment, studying the students in reference for the upper torso area of my model, I must say there are some fine pert examples here to draw upon (I wish !!) and let the imagination run wild.

'keep an eye on me!' wadda yu mean?! user added image

this is the first time i have used sub-ds in any 'real' sense, I made a monster once from the alias maya 6 foundation book once, i dont know if that counts user added image I like them but cdbram has brought some interesting pionts to the table. I like sub-ds, seem the best of both worlds IF one is fully ready to model and not have to revert or back track too much later?? seem cool to me though.

ctbram, looking at your post again, I didnt understand what you meant about limitations in the assembly stage. Seems clearer this morning, you are saying consider the torso in the final design because once it is made it is too (if not impossible) to change or refine later?

Last edited by mirek03; 02-05-2007 at 05:05 AM.
# 57 02-05-2007 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
after some research at the uni (joking user added image ) I have a few updates.

I already know there is a big line running down the middle of the torso, this is because there is too much overlap at the centre but I wanted a rough idea of how this might look later.

anyway, any thoughts??

Attached Thumbnails

# 58 02-05-2007 , 02:24 PM
Subscriber
from the side..,

Attached Thumbnails

# 59 03-05-2007 , 05:15 AM
Subscriber
dont know about anyone else but Im not happy with this so Im starting the torso from scratch.:angery: user added image user added image

# 60 11-05-2007 , 05:50 AM
Subscriber
stole a few moments to start again.., the last one brought back some pretty bad memories :bandit:

anyway, CT, if you are out there did you notice when making the breast you had to move away from the reference pics a fair bit??

Attached Thumbnails