Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 21-11-2007 , 02:35 AM
OK people, I need some help now :headbang:

I created the model for the hedgehog as you have seen. I painted hair on the low poly to create the prickles. I connected a bend deformer to let my hedgehog roll up itself to a ball. The prickles nicely bend along. Bending IS cool !! :bandit:

The problem is when I do a smooth proxy, the hair system does not copy to the other half of the model as you can see below :angery:

Any suggestions user added image

Attached Images
# 17 21-11-2007 , 03:27 PM
I think I have figured it out :attn:

I converted the hair paint effects to poly's and combined them with the low poly. Then doing a smooth proxy also mirrors the hair poly's to the other side of the model. And I'm still able to change the hair attributes. user added image

Or should I do this another way ??

# 18 21-11-2007 , 05:35 PM
Well, I guess I should do it another way. With this approach it takes an endless time to do manipulations on the model :zzz:

I now switched to connecting a hair system to the high res model and just leave it as paint effects. Easy handling and relatively fast rendering :p

# 19 22-11-2007 , 01:02 AM
looking good Swil, i like the hedgehog - pretty good 4 a noob.
Hope u can do the animation too id like 2 see that. keep it up dude. user added image

# 20 22-11-2007 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
I must agree that hedgehog looks cool. The fact that it can roll into a ball is impressive. Are you going to make the Hedgehog (ball) white or textured like a real golf ball?

keep up the good work.

# 21 22-11-2007 , 09:27 AM
Thanks guys for the positive feedback user added image

I haven't thought about texturing the hedgehog like a golf ball, but I like the idea :nod: Let me see if I can make that work.

Any ideas for the rabbit ?

# 22 05-12-2007 , 08:56 AM
Well, it was a lot of learning, but I got the hedgehog to look somewhat the way I want it. I'm not sure yet if I want to put more fur on it, or leave it the way it is now.

What do you think ?

I also started working on the golf course itself. Needs more work, but it's a start.

Attached Images
# 23 05-12-2007 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
Hey, why don't you make the hedgehog's quills match the texture of the body. I think it will look real neat and the logo will show up better :nod:
On the image provided has a plane with the mk logo texture and the fur with the texture too. Let me know if you can get it done.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:02 AM.
# 24 06-12-2007 , 05:48 PM
Wow, very cool !

I used hair with high stiffness, rather than fur, but anyway, let me see if I can figure this one out user added image

# 25 08-12-2007 , 01:43 PM
OK, I found out how to do this. I need to switch to fur and bake the texture to base and tip color.

Unfortunately in the process my PC suffered a real hardware failure :headbang: :headbang:

I spent hours to try and get it going again but it stays dead. My other PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run Maya :angery: :angery:

I'm going to need some time to find a solution for this :shakehead

# 26 08-12-2007 , 03:58 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by Swil
OK, I found out how to do this. I need to switch to fur and bake the texture to base and tip color.

Unfortunately in the process my PC suffered a real hardware failure :headbang: :headbang:

I spent hours to try and get it going again but it stays dead. My other PC doesn't have enough horsepower to run Maya :angery: :angery:

I'm going to need some time to find a solution for this :shakehead

Well, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope it gets fixed soon!

You say your machine doesn't have enough Horsepower?

The computer in my bedroom is a Athlon 2600 (running at 2400) with 512 mb RAM Nvidia FX 5200 and 140 GB hard drive.
But it runs Maya really well (as long as i don't go above about, 40,000 polys.

But, not to worry my parents are running a decent machine,, and I'm currently saving up to build a new comp.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 27 08-12-2007 , 04:50 PM
Subscriber
ouch! I felt that one. Sorry to hear.
You probably had the fur density really highuser added image

# 28 09-12-2007 , 01:50 AM
I don't think my PC crash had anything to do with Maya. Already since longer I was getting blue screens when I was doing graphics intensive apps. Also with video editing, for instance. Earlier this year, after a few of those crashes, powering down and up, the internal network bridge already blew up and I had to install a separate network card. The last crash this time probably built on the previous one. With all those blue screens I was already getting tired of the thing and was thinking of buying a new one. I have to speed up those plans now user added image

My other PC is a Pentium 2 with 192 MB RAM, already seven years old. I don't think I can beef that one up enough. Not even worth while trying :zzz:

I saved some money so I should be OK. See if I can find a nice Core 2 or something :bandit: :blush:

# 29 25-12-2007 , 12:50 PM
Well, if it rains it poors !!

I got myself another PC just before the Xmas break, worked for two days to get everything installed again. Very nice system - Intel Dual core @ 6300, so should be able to do something. Then lightening stikes and I start getting blue screens of Death one after another. It turns out it's not a new system but a refurb. Pretty poor job I would say. :angery: :angery: :angery: :angery:

Went back to the shop tonight and they offered to replace it with a little extra payment for a quad system @ 6600. That makes sense :p

Trying to get everything going again. Hope to make some progress again next week.

cheers user added image

# 30 25-12-2007 , 12:53 PM
hope u can make sum progress swil - i been lookin 4ward 2 seein more of this idea. still got 2 months 2 go i think.