Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 23-01-2008 , 05:33 PM

Standing Lamp

Been working on a lamp from my scene. Taken a while to do the curved pieces. Hoping to finish it today and start texturing it tomorrow. Though I'd post it here.

Not all the parts are welded and

Any crits and comments welcome.

cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-01-2008 , 06:09 PM
Subscriber
# 3 23-01-2008 , 08:59 PM
yeah - looks like a nice start - what are you using - nurbs? any chance we can see a wireframe - the petals look pretty good. user added image

# 4 23-01-2008 , 09:53 PM
Update. Done some more welding, tweaked some of the curves. The curves aren't as precise as I'd like but it's a prop and I don't want to spend unnecessary time on it. Should be ok for a background object.

cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 23-01-2008 , 09:54 PM
Here's a pre-smooth wire Arran.

Quite a high poly count once it's smoothed but for a shape such as this I reckon that's inevitable.

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 6 24-01-2008 , 12:01 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
This looks really good!

Theres a few things missing from the original that aren't in your model.

Anyway, nice work!

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 7 24-01-2008 , 02:04 AM

Originally posted by Mayaniac

Theres a few things missing from the original that aren't in your model.

care to elaborate?! user added image

gubar this looking very cool - nice and clean - but is there any need to smooth this? it should be fine as is, or with the normals softened.

# 8 24-01-2008 , 05:55 AM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by arran
care to elaborate?! user added image

Sorry, I was in a rush!

I was talking about the little braces that run along the inside of the main arm, on which the Lamp shade it's self mounts.

Thats all, very easy to fix user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 9 24-01-2008 , 10:50 AM
Hi guys,

yeah mayaniac I'm still in the process of modeling, they will be included. It's not aiming to be an exact replica of the image though - but they'll be in.

Arran, for the most part it looks fine unsmoothed - but the end parts of the curls (where they twist and taper off) don't have enough edges around their section to create the illusion of roundness. Manually inserting and moving edge loops would of course be an option but I don't feel that I've got the time to spend on it when smoothing is another option... I know it's not the best method but I really need to get my scene complete.

I'll post some close ups of the wire later to show you what I mean.

Cheers,

gubar

EDIT:

On second thoughts, I could convert to subd's instead of smoothing - would this be a good alternative? Not sure of how this affects performance etc, but I know it'll give me nice curves.

Last edited by gubar; 24-01-2008 at 11:36 AM.
# 10 24-01-2008 , 02:34 PM
Lifetime Member
Gubar if you convert to subd you might have some problems rendering in Mental Ray if you intend to use it since MR doesn't like subd.
In my opinion for a background object it doesn't need to be smoothed at all since you will never notice the angles from the distance it will be shot from.
3D is all about what you can get away with and a comprimize between what you need to sell the scene and what you can put across unoticed to the viewer for optimization of the scene for render time efficiency,even the very best pro's cheat on stuff you will never notice.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 24-01-2008 , 02:57 PM
I think you may be correct about that Arran and Jsprogg (not smoothing...

I've welded some more, and don't think it will be seen any closer than this image shows.

Cheers,

gubar

Also, thanks for the tip about MR and subds jsprogg... didn't know that.

Attached Thumbnails
# 12 24-01-2008 , 03:04 PM
Nice model even more. hope your lamp with textures, that's sure be very classic style.

user added image

# 13 24-01-2008 , 03:12 PM
Depending on the version of maya your using the sub-d problems in MR are sorted, I cant remember which version it is that dosnet care anymore about the sub-d's but it could be either 8.5 or 2008.

But your right John, if its a backgorund then there should be no probs, of there is then just making the normals soft should do the trick.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 14 28-01-2008 , 09:50 AM
Update. Working on material.

I've created a bump map for the detail on part of the lamp; at any kind of distance it becomes impossible to see.

You can compare it in the two images - why is this - my settings or something? I've seen bump maps that show detail over distance.

Crits on the materials esp. appreciated at the moment. It's getting there but doesn't seem like metal to me at the moment... let me know what you think.

Cheers,

gubar

Attached Thumbnails
# 15 28-01-2008 , 09:51 AM
You can see the bump in this one - you can't in the other.

Attached Thumbnails