Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 14-09-2008 , 09:43 PM
Subscriber

Silenus Character W.I.P

I was going to wait until I'd finished more of this but I will post a further image tomorrow if I get more done to it. This is from my attempts to learn about texturing over the last few days. The model is not mine, it is taken from Michael Mckinleys book 'The Game Artists Guide To Maya', and I am following the colour scheme too. The original concept design for the character is by Steve Garcia. I am pleased so far with the lessons I have learned. I have put down basic textures for most of the geometry, mainly from photos, and tomorrow will be painting detail over the top as I have started to do on the belly, in this image.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 15-09-2008 , 12:18 AM
Super Moderator
I don't understand the textures, like whats what.

- Genny
# 3 15-09-2008 , 09:41 AM
Subscriber
I dont understand your question gecT. Do you mean what are the different textures supposed to be of? If so, the legs are supposed to be brown fur, there are a couple of jewels on the front of his chest strap, and waist belt, which are the blue bits. The white/areas obviously dont have anything at all yet.

# 4 15-09-2008 , 09:43 AM
Subscriber
the strips coming from the belt, make up a sort of kilt/thigh armour

# 5 15-09-2008 , 11:08 AM
Subscriber
Looks like a good start, on the next update please could you ahow it from a few angles and either change the background colour via the camera's environment attributes or do a rough light setup as some parts are tricky to see.

Chris

# 6 15-09-2008 , 06:19 PM
Subscriber
ok. I dont know my lights very well, so i changed the background colour (didnt know how to do tha before so another lesson learned!).

Right, this is as far as Im going to take him. I dont know why the head has come out funny in these pics, it doesnt look like that on the model in the workspace and im not just saying that. The problems are very clear, a few dodgy seams, the eyebrow plane was supposed to be replaced by a transparency map, but as I can not save my work and im being warned about leaving the computer on over night I have to call it a day. With patience I could have gone on for a few more hours, there were lots of things I would like to have seen added, some greener tones in the skin, some more highlights and detail. But I've learned lots in this project that I will hopefully put to use soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 7 15-09-2008 , 06:20 PM
Subscriber
closer in

Attached Thumbnails
# 8 15-09-2008 , 06:22 PM
Subscriber
I know the angles and clarity of the pictures isnt very good. I've not learned anything about rendering, and I am using Maya PLE

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 15-09-2008 , 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by ben hobden
I dont understand your question gecT. Do you mean what are the different textures supposed to be of? If so, the legs are supposed to be brown fur, there are a couple of jewels on the front of his chest strap, and waist belt, which are the blue bits. The white/areas obviously dont have anything at all yet.

Yeah thats what I meant, for a sec there I thought he had pieces of wood hanging around his waist. Plus the black background and the watermark make a distracting combo.

- Genny
# 10 16-09-2008 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
tell me about it! I was supposed to get a full copy of maya last week but it fell through. I might be getting it soon though, it's kind of 50/50. It's given me quite a bit of confusion, as i'm still not completely sure what it is that I cant do in PLE that you can do in the full version. Until about a week ago I didnt realise I could export texture maps to photoshop. I think it's mostly the rendering side which is locked, I dont know. But I havnt tried doing all the other kind of maps yet, just colour attribute maps, so maybe I can learn more about that and make things look better?

# 11 16-09-2008 , 07:41 AM
Subscriber
that is one fat satyre! user added image
i assume it's a satyre... half goat half man...

as for what the PLE can't do compared to the commercial editions... it can't export, save files readable by commercial editions, and use plug-ins, oh, and it can't do the stuff that is specific to unlimited...

i suppose when you're just learning you're probably better off having the basic stuff until you get to the point where you want to do effects and hair and all that other funky stuff...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 12 16-09-2008 , 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Grab up a student version if you can. Sucks that all your PLE work can't be transferred over though :x

- Genny
# 13 16-09-2008 , 05:04 PM
Subscriber
im not technically a student. I presume you have to be in full time education to get a student version? Im content enough plugging away on the PLE, its a bit annoying though seeing some screenshots of other peoples work which are all hyper smooth. im not sure what resolution it is, but i think in PLE any render, even just for stillshots, is capped at quite a low resolution, so I can never get that polished look to anything I put my time into :-( and there's that watermark. grumble grumble

# 14 16-09-2008 , 11:07 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Is this character based on the satyr from the game artists guide to Maya?

Looks pretty good!

I thought the rendering was fully functional in the PLE? You just had to put up with the Watermarks? Could be wrong. Haven't used it in awhile.

Keep working at it.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 15 17-09-2008 , 03:54 AM
Yeah the PLE has all the rendering functions, but I think its limited on Mental ray to a cirtian size.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle