Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-11-2008 , 10:19 PM

Greek temple

I have been away from this forum for a while now, with school and moving I had some problems finding the time.

I have left out some detail that would take alot of time (more so then the modeling of the temple itself) And i want to focus on the temple for the moment. Critique is welcome on both the scene and presentation.

It is the temple of Athena in Nike in the shape it was during the ancient era.

And cheers I got an A on my first 3d modeling class. user added image

user added image

# 2 18-11-2008 , 12:36 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
looks very nice so far, perhaps kill the yellow a bit in the light

otherwiseuser added image

Jay

# 3 18-11-2008 , 12:55 AM
Very nice user added image
The part where the temple's stairs hit the floor looks weird. as if it's not connected to the floor but lies above it.
Other from that looks great
Benny

BTW, I'm not sure it's advisable but try to fake some depth of field.

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 4 18-11-2008 , 01:35 AM
Subscriber
other than the background and it looking yellow instead of stone-greyish colour it looks like part of God of War

nice details

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 18-11-2008 , 02:18 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Chirone
other than the background and it looking yellow instead of stone-greyish colour it looks like part of God of War

nice details

Whats wrong with the background? and aren't Greek stones yellowy-white? it looks ok on my monitor. where you trying to make it old or new?

# 6 18-11-2008 , 02:52 AM
Jay: Yeah I just changed my monitor colour to normal and I see that it might be to much yellow.

Bennyk: You are right about the stairs, right now it overlaps but in reality it should be a dark line to indicate that the stone goes down. This detail should also be added to the "fence".

Do PS have any good fake DOF?

Chirone: The yellow colour comes from the light that as stated earlier might be to strong, but the marble is white.

And it is a succes if it looks like god of war, as I think that the game takes place in ancient greece. user added image

And as said by Hammer.Horror please say whats wrong with the background, I kinda like it, and the temple stod at a mountain and behind it you could see other mountains. Maybe I should lower the mountains so that it looks like the temple is on higher ground.

Hammer.Horror: Im trying to make it "new" as the temple looked a few thousand years ago.

The stones on the real temples was white and the sun changed the colour to a yellow tint, the one you see today are more yellowish becouse of acid rain and pollution.

Now I'm going to Stockholm for a vacation I will be back on monday. Thanks alot for the comments so far. user added image

Edit: Ah I misunderstood you Chirone. user added image

Last edited by Weyu; 18-11-2008 at 02:55 AM.
# 7 18-11-2008 , 02:52 AM
Subscriber
i'm not saying anything is wrong with the background, i'm saying that if it wasn't for it then it would look like it's from god of war :p

i realised my monitor was set to the wrong display mode, it doesn't look as yellow now
yeah my bad, they are yellowish in colour user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 18-11-2008 , 11:14 AM
You can fake DOF in PS and it's probably what you should do, but you should get a z-depth render so it will be accurate.

One more thing you can do is set make everything that's in focus a black hole and everything else with full ambient and run another render. Then it's easy to create a blur channel without rendering everything in high quality again.

Lens Blur for DOF:
https://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/07/how-t...t-fakery-par/2

Benny

My latest snake game
# 9 22-11-2008 , 06:48 PM
Okey I added the blur and I tryed to define the lines intersecting the steps and floor. I also changed the colour balance to decline the yellow light by a bit.

There is some detail decorations I would like to add but my math classes are to time consuming, but it would give the image a better feeling, especialy when its in a higher resolution.

user added image

# 10 23-11-2008 , 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Texture and lighting is really great. The dof makes it seem like a miniature though.

- Genny
# 11 23-11-2008 , 05:58 AM

# 12 23-11-2008 , 06:02 AM
Hehe I guess so, am I supposed to add the DOF in maya to make it look real or is there a special teqnique?

I will read the wiki entry and try to make sense of it after school. user added image

# 13 23-11-2008 , 11:25 AM

My latest snake game
# 14 23-11-2008 , 01:07 PM
Subscriber
nice render ... could you render a close up aswell user added image

# 15 23-11-2008 , 08:13 PM
I used lens blur on the last image. user added image

On this I copyed the settings from the tutorial you linked, I also painted some difference in depth on the mountains to make it pop out more.

And sorry I want to focus on this angle/image so I wont create a closeup, and if you cant see the problems at this distance they arent really problems. user added image

user added image