Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 17-03-2009 , 10:28 AM

How do I import bump maps?

Hello everyone!

I just started out with Maya two days ago, so this is totally new to me.

I've been trying to create an orange, but there is no bump map for that texture. There are bump maps in jpeg-format to download everywhere on the internet, but how do I get them into the program..?

I would be very thankful if anyone helped me with this...

Best regards, Marie
# 2 17-03-2009 , 10:34 AM
Subscriber
welcome to maya and these forums

the help files would tell you the answer user added image

do you know how to assign a material? (you just hold down right click on your object and select it from there)

when you do that the new dialog that pops up will have the option to add bump from a file
there are default bumps that come with maya
you can make your own bump maps to
there probably are downloadable bumpmaps, and there might be some in jpeg format, i've never looked (why waste time searching when you can create your own in less time? user added image)
i assume you know what a bump map looks like? they are greyscale pictures

you should take a look at the tutorials that come with maya, you'll have answers to a lot of your questions then user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 17-03-2009 , 10:46 AM
I know how to assign materia and apply one of the existing bump maps.

But I can't find a tutorial that tells me how to make my own bump maps or import a jpeg file. =/

I am so confused... I don't find the answer by googling either.

Best regards, Marie
# 4 17-03-2009 , 10:52 AM
Subscriber
what did you google?

i think i might know what's confusing you though

you know when you assign a preset bump map and that dialog comes up wtih all those options?

and you click one of those options and it assigns the bump to the material?
click on the button that says 'file'
then you'll get the option to change the bump depth and whether you want to use it as a bump map or normal map

hit the button next to Bump Value slider (the one with a black arrow going into a square) and you'll be taken to a palce where you can load a file

a text field with the label Image Name next to it and a button with a file icon is there. click the file icon and locate your bump map (if you set up your project using default directories you'll instantly be taken to the source images folder or the folder that was last seen when you saved out an image in maya)

you can get back to the other dialogs by hitting the two buttons next to Focus and Presets (the ones with black arrows on the squares)

hope that answers your question

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 17-03-2009 , 11:23 AM
Thank you so much for helping me! =)

Although, it seems I might go the wrong way when I assign material... I rightclick on the object and choose "material attributes..."

Then I click on the bump mapping button and get those existing bump map alternatives.

When I choose one, that "file" button you mention doesn't appear anywhere. If you don't mean the file menu up to the left, which I guess you don't.

This is how it looks...

Attached Thumbnails

Best regards, Marie
# 6 17-03-2009 , 12:00 PM
Lifetime Member
heres a simpler explanation to help you get a bump map on your object ..go up to window at the top and under rendering editors choose hypershade . In the hypershade window double click on the orange material to open up the attribute editor for that material , under Common Material Attributes click on the chequered box next to Bump Mapping and the Create Render Node window will pop up and you should click on file.The attribute editor will now show the bump 2d attributes. select the file tab at the top then under File Attributes next to Image Name click on the folder and browse to your bump image you want to add.
The bump 2d node is also where you can set your bump depth.

hope this helps a little .

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 7 17-03-2009 , 01:17 PM
Hmm.. Sounds good. I knew I was a bit off the track, I will try that. =)

Thank you both a lot for helping me out!

Best regards, Marie
# 8 23-03-2009 , 05:39 PM
i think your orange might be the wrong color.... user added image

# 9 23-03-2009 , 07:12 PM
Lifetime Member
wrong shape too user added image it must be an Orapple..hehe

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 10 24-03-2009 , 08:26 AM
Heh, yeah... I didn't think of that when I uploaded that pic. That IS an apple. =) But there will be oranges in the future. user added image

Best regards, Marie
# 11 26-03-2009 , 02:33 PM
"...chequered box next to Bump Mapping and the Create Render Node window will pop up and you should click on file."

But... Next to Bump mapping is no chequered box like on Diffuse, Incandescence and the others in Common Material Attributes. There is an icon with an arrow.
And if I click that the Fractal Attributes come up.

I don't get this.... =/

Best regards, Marie
# 12 26-03-2009 , 02:47 PM
you can always back click and break the connection if you don't want a fractal for your bump.

post up a screenshot of your shader network so we can see what's going on. user added image

# 13 27-03-2009 , 01:39 PM
Ok, I'll post a screenshot to make this clearer. The red circle is where I've been told to go... But that only brings me to the fractal window.
The green circle shows that there is a file...->import...-menu. But how do I do this?

How do I get my jpeg-bumpmap into maya so I can use it on my fruits ? =)

Attached Thumbnails

Best regards, Marie
# 14 27-03-2009 , 03:36 PM
ok - just backclick on the bump mapping attribute and select break connection. now you should have a checker. click that and select file - make sure normals are selected.

now just load your bump map file. don't worry about the import button that you are pointing to for now. i haven't used a jpeg before - you usually use targa or tiff files.

when you add a bump file you get a bump 2d node - you usually have to play with your bump depth - often you need to make it really low - 0.1 or so...

back click on your shader in the hypergraph and you can graph your shader - so you can see the various parts.

not sure if you know about laying out UVs, but if you don't - start looking it up. you can't really texture well until you understand laying out UVs and painting maps in photoshop.

Last edited by arran; 27-03-2009 at 03:38 PM.
# 15 13-04-2009 , 07:18 PM
I made it! Thanks to all of you for helping me out!
Here is the final result:

Attached Thumbnails

Best regards, Marie