Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 12-04-2009 , 09:45 PM

glossy floor

I need some help with making a glossy floor. i'm trying to create a material that mimics a waxed linoleum or tile floor. i cant seem to get it right. i have tried many different shaders, ranging from blinn to MIA_material. any help in the setup would be appreciated.
heres an image for reference
user added image

# 2 12-04-2009 , 11:47 PM
look into the mia_material its a mental ray shader with presets including wood ie. wooden floor boards just like these. You will need to tweak a little like the reflectivity and you will also need an environment for it to reflect.
hope this helps

# 3 13-04-2009 , 07:40 PM
I tried the Mia_material before, and i just tried again. i got a reflection, but you can't see the tile or wood floor. could i do a glossy surface on top of my floor mesh? i would really like to avoid that type of solution.

# 4 13-04-2009 , 09:15 PM
Subscriber
can't you break up reflections by adding bump mapping?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 13-04-2009 , 09:30 PM
you can, but i don't want to. i want normal reflections but i want to see my texture under it. when i render i get an over-reflected environment on my floors surface. it might be because i'm only using an hdri image as my environ.

# 6 13-04-2009 , 10:51 PM
Super Moderator
I think you may need to tweak the reflection properties on the mia_mat, try changing the BDRF settings or even try a fresnel reflection.

- Genny