Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 22-04-2009 , 10:17 AM
Fair enough.

This movie sounds interesting by the way - do you have a link or any more info?

cheers

gubar

# 17 22-04-2009 , 10:27 AM
Subscriber
https://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...al+fantasy+7+a

well... considering advent children was released in 2007? or was it 2005 in japan, it's no real surprise that you could do that sort of stuff in maya 6.5

the technology was there, just that no one could drive it the way the joes at FF7 could

and now with the invention of all the other tools and plug-ins and other apps everyone can make FF graphics...
i liked it better when FF was still way above everyone else with graphics :p

i remember back in 2000 when spirits within was released, took them 4 years to make and everyone was oo-ing and aa-ing over the fact you could see pores in people's skin, and you can't forget about that individual hair collision. a shame the movie wasn't even FF related...

now you see pores in everyone's skin user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 18 22-04-2009 , 10:31 AM
Hi Chirone,

I meant the 3 man movie actually. Cheers though.

Also, very sorry to hear about your break in - that is awful. Hope whoever it was gets caught and jailed appropriately.

cheers

gubar

# 19 22-04-2009 , 10:44 AM

But it is about taking what you need from each package to create a project, working through several in a pipeline if necessary.

That's right!!!

Because when it is abt vfx houdini can boost ur speed and maximize ur creativity!...though i don't know all abt maya but i believe that it can't do it in that way!....

# 20 27-04-2009 , 03:57 AM
It seems the post is talking about "upgrade satisfaction" and as such it is not surprising that the newest three modeling apps are on the top of the list blender, houdini, and modo.

I have use all three and although they do have innovative poly modeling features and workflows, some of which I would like to see brought into Maya, I find it hard to switch gears from my Maya workflow.

I don't model enough to learn more then one application workflow. There was a time I resolved to ditch Maya and switch to modo after watching some very compelling Modo poly / subd modeling tutorials.

In the end I ended up being frustrated by all the modo crashes. I ended up being a mediocre modo modeler and my Maya skills declined as well.

So in the end I guess I'd rather know one package inside and out and be a halfway decent modeler then have a half assed understanding of multiple packages and suck at them all!

I am holding out hope that autodesk does not kill maya. I find 3ds clunky and the user interface is a total cluster f..k. To me it's modifiers are like word 2007, which hides all the tools under 500 ribbon tabs. It's like a freaking easter egg hunt every time I want to do something. Although the stack, like the modo tool pipe is nice.

Maya's user interface has everything I need neatly arranged. However, some tools are in dire need of updating or quite frankly just removing.

I used to be a 100% nurbs surface modeler. The maya surfacing tools were always a bit touchy and if you every used studio tools you got the distinct impression that all the maya nurbs tools were just version .00000001 of experimental trial versions of the studio tool equivalents. Eventually autodesk needs to fix a lot of the nurbs tools. But I'd understand and would appreciate if they would focus on the poly/subd tools for now.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 27-04-2009 at 04:11 AM.
# 21 27-04-2009 , 09:15 AM

So in the end I guess I'd rather know one package inside and out and be a halfway decent modeler then have a half assed understanding of multiple packages and suck at them all!

actually it is just like gubar said...it is about taking what you need from each package to create a project, working through several in a pipeline if necessary.