Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 46 01-02-2010 , 05:18 AM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the comment Chirone! Unfortunately I didn't get it in time to make the change, but I do appreciate it nonetheless.

I'll probably post a lengthier summary of things I learned and things I'd change for next time, as this was a really great learning experience for me.

# 47 01-02-2010 , 09:13 AM
Haha, excellent Stwert, really liked it. The only thing I would've pointed out was probably the same as what Chirone said about the elbow, apart from that it was cool.

Post up the final rendered version when you have it done, not really bothered about the end date etc, more interested in the final product!

Look forward to seeing it.

# 48 01-02-2010 , 05:51 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks Dango, I'll have that render up asap.

Actually I was thinking about that elbow... the robot doesn't have articulation in the wrist (such is the simplicity of the model/rig), so in order to orient the hand a certain way, the elbow has to follow... I agree that it doesn't look great that way; the next rig I do will have more joints!

Got to say it was lots of fun doing this challenge with you. Sorry for being such a procrastinator, you were basically done before I'd pretty much started :p. I'd like to do another battle/challenge sometime (not right away). Maybe we can get some more interest in this area of the forum. That would be cool, having a few different battles going on all the time!

Oh yeah, and I ran out of time to do some dynamics, next time for sure!

# 49 02-02-2010 , 06:37 AM
EduSciVis-er
Ok, the final render is on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0mMHJCzdi0

and I think it's so cool that Dango's animation comes up as a related video... awesome!

So how should we resolve this battle? Call Dango the winner for a longer, more polished, sooner finished video?? Call me the winner for doing the bulk of the work in less than two weeks? Haha...

We need an impartial judge.

# 50 02-02-2010 , 07:19 AM
Subscriber
hmmm... maybe you guys should do a little extra fighting!

uhh, i mean like.. you say how your clip matches an interpretation of the the two words crash control
then someone can decide who was able to match close to their interpretation?
i suppose analogous to a beauty contest where the contestants have to speak and say why they should be good

give 'points' on that (like one point for whoever did it better)

give a 'point' for the awesomeness of the animation... (actually have no idea what i said with that... but whoever made the cooler animation)

and then a third point for... the prettiest picture? or rather, the coolest rig (or easiest to use?)... dunno how you'd figure that one out!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 51 02-02-2010 , 05:19 PM
I'm cool with whatever way you want to judge this, so I'll take the easy route and let you decide...lol (being lazy about that, sorry....)

Weirdly, I just stumbled upon the fact that my animation has found itself onto several other websites that I had no clue it'd been put on! Along with a couple of other playblast etc, one of the sites was chinese, and I had more views on that site than on Youtube where I posted it in the first place! LOL!

Strange.

Anyhow, loved the final render of yours Stwert. I'll be looking forward to the next battle! Whenever you're up for it, just let me know....

# 52 03-02-2010 , 05:37 PM
EduSciVis-er
What about posting a poll in the Finished Work section of the forum (as this section seems to not get as much attention)?

Have members vote based on closeness to theme "Crash Control", and how good the final product is, and whatever else... winner gets bragging rights?

# 53 03-02-2010 , 07:12 PM
Yeah get these in the finished work section!!

Yeah I found a vid of mine thats on you tube that ended up bein on loads of websites.

Just checked my You TUbe channel 32,000 views!! Mad!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle