Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 22-12-2009 , 11:25 PM
Subscriber

Lighting outer space

Im seeing if someone has any suggestions for this. I have an alien that I made and Im almost done animating. I have him standing on a floating metal land mass in the middle of outer space somewhere. The stars are around him and there are other things like floating meteors and a planet.

My question is what kind of lighting set up would I need to get a look similar to say if he was on the earths moon like in all those 1960s videos of moon landings. I cant seem to make it look outer space like without it being to bright or dark.

By the way this site is great! These tutorials and this forum has been the biggest help for me to learning Maya.

# 2 23-12-2009 , 11:12 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Space is one big shadow and gets lit by bounced light from surrounding stars and planets which in turn get illuminated by the sun of that solarsystem.
If you have a moon-earth-sun kinda set up I would determine the place where the sun is in relation to your subject and use that as your keylight and use the blueish bounced light of the earth as a fill light.
user added image

# 3 24-12-2009 , 10:18 AM
Just "wing" it just simple make it look like you want, I would start off with a 3 point set up.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 25-12-2009 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber

space

Ok Ill start with the 3 point lighting, for the different stars that glow brighter and dimmer I was going to create them in After Effects after I render my scenes out. and Ill do some experimenting as well. I was thinking about parenting a light to the orb so that it reflects on my character and the environment even though Im creating it in After Effects. Im not too comfortable with dynamics yet to create it in maya.