Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 13-01-2010 , 04:37 PM

Nurbs Surface Fillet Gaps ...

What is the best way to fill the small surface gaps left after executing a Surface Fillet. In this case a "Circular Fillet" between a simple Nurbs Cylinder and a Nurbs Plane. I'm getting a lot of small triangular gaps along the edge between the two surfaces where the Fillet occurs. The UV patches on the two pieces of geometry are obviously completely different.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 13-01-2010 , 04:45 PM
The Nurb Herd
have you tried a render, because that gap might not actually be there.

# 3 13-01-2010 , 05:54 PM
Subscriber
if the gap is there, i would first try to rebuild the surface to get a more congruent U / V edge layout between the two meshes.

I'm not a nurbs man though so i couldn't tell you for sure.

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 4 13-01-2010 , 05:58 PM
Ya ... its there. I thought I could just fix it in polys but there are a lot of them. I just used this simplified model to illustrate the problem. The actual files are car wheels. Some pretty complex. Don't like to work in Nurbs as a rule if I can avoid it but the complexity of the shapes really lends itself to Nurbs surfaces.

Hey ... is that the Queen !!! Come on, wheres the love user added image

# 5 13-01-2010 , 06:35 PM
The Nurb Herd
didn't you know the queen of england is a lizard in a skin suit? user added image

i pretty sure if you have done it right it will render smooth, but look crap in the viewport.

something like this...

user added image

# 6 15-01-2010 , 06:06 AM
Technical Director
This is a render tessellation issue.

Select the surface, and open up the attribute editor. Go to the shape node, and there should be something called tessellation. Open that up, and you can set some more parameters there. It also helps to check "display render tessellation" in that pane when figuring out your settings. More info can be found in the docs.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 15-01-2010 , 02:47 PM
I've done a little research into this and it seems it has a lot to do with the difference in parameterization between the two filleted surfaces. I don't know if any amount of tessellation would solve this. It may be a NURBS shortcoming I have to live with. It does show up in my renders ... even with increased tessellation. I'm really hoping I've missed something here and someone is going to flick that light switch on with a eureka post. Thanks for the reply.