Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 21-01-2003 , 06:42 PM

machine gun fire

Hi , does anyone know the best way to put machine gun fire on any weapon of choice ( mine is a minigun and m-16) and also the rounds being expended onto the ground?????

thanx up front
PS-I use MAYA 4

# 2 21-01-2003 , 08:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
I did a project like this a while back. What I had was a two-barreled robotic gun firing from a compartment in a wall.

Anyway, what I did for the flash was very simple at the time, but looking back, I think I'd still do it again today. I made a funky NURBS object in the shape of your typical "flash" and stuck one at the end of the barrels. I then gave it a nice glowing shader, and used Set Driven Key to make it invisible when the barrel was retracted, but visible when extended. I also put a simple rotation expression on it to make it rotate slowly, so the flash wasn't the exact same shape every time it was visible.

For the shells, I used particle instancing and dynamics to have the shells bounce off the ground. I'll post a pic of what I made if I can find it. user added image

Good luck! user added image

# 3 21-01-2003 , 09:27 PM
Good one Mike!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 4 24-01-2003 , 05:22 PM
thanks mike I will try that and I would love to see your example.

# 5 24-01-2003 , 05:34 PM
The Maya Mountain
sorry, I forgot. lol. I'll dig around for it today and try to post some pics. user added image

# 6 26-01-2003 , 01:50 AM
The Maya Mountain
Sorry for the delay user added image

# 7 27-01-2003 , 11:30 PM
thank you again mike, that looks really good I think it just might work!