Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 23-04-2010 , 11:58 PM

Does Maya have a "Slice Selected" equivalent to Modo splitting edge loops?

Hi SimplyMaya community,

I am relatively new to Maya and looking for Modo similar controls. I am simply trying to select multiple edges for a shoulder loop on my Maya model running across the chest up over shoulder and then across the back. In Modo I would select all necessary adjacent edges > Select Loop Slice > and then check "Slice Selected."

I don't believe the Insert Edge Loop and Split Polygon Tool offer the freedom I require for this since it is not a standard loop running around a sphere. It travels in the direction of a shoulder pad.

I have recently discovered that running the polySplitRing in the command line essentially solves my problem but I was wondering if this option is available beyond the command line. If not, could someone help a poor noob like myself with mapping a hotkey for polySplitRing? I seem to have trouble locating this command in the hotkey editor as well.

Thanks in advance for the support!
-Eric

Last edited by Megatron2.0; 24-04-2010 at 09:17 PM.
# 2 24-04-2010 , 01:14 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi mate,

Im newer than a noob but here you go for the hotkey

I assigned a key just to check I had the right thing you were looking for. Hope this pre noob has helped.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 3 24-04-2010 , 09:45 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Can you post up an image of said shoulder pad and hilite the way you want to run a loop split please. because if these arent working for you then your loops are quite loops IMO.

cheers
Jay

# 4 24-04-2010 , 10:09 AM
Lifetime Member
Hey Jay,

wouldnt you just use cut faces on the angle you wanted from front view??? I thought about that later on. Easier than mucking around poly by poly? Thats if it is planar of course.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 5 24-04-2010 , 01:46 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Bullet

yeah you could, but the impression I get here is that he wants it to loop properly without any fuss. Maya's edge ring tool should work fine if the loops are in reasonable shape so to speak. And even cutting them with the split poly tool wont hurt.

cheers
Jay

# 6 24-04-2010 , 02:05 PM
Lifetime Member
cool as man,

I would go the easy option with the cut face tool (Im lazy), then copy the faces I want to keep (or hide them). Then delete edges, though I suppose you may as well use as you say the split poly tool. I tried what he meant but all it did was create poly lines centrally on the face etc, you know more than I do so I will say that is from me amigos.

PS Jay I think he meant diagonal?? from the right hip across the left shoulder down the spine back to the right hip rear??? I could have read it wrong.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 24-04-2010 at 02:08 PM.
# 7 24-04-2010 , 06:59 PM

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Megatron2.0; 24-04-2010 at 07:02 PM.
# 8 24-04-2010 , 07:12 PM
EduSciVis-er
In this case I think (though I'm a relative newbie too) the best bet would be to use a combo of insert edge loop and split poly. Insert edge loop has options to do a partial insert (or sometimes if it doesn't know where to go, e.g. tris, it'll just stop there). Then finish up the loop with split poly. Hope that helps.

# 9 24-04-2010 , 07:17 PM
Hey Stwert, thanks for the response.

In actually the splitPolyRing command does exactly what I need after selecting the corresponding edge loops running over the shoulder. But I was wondering if this option could be found somewhere in the UI because I only know of this feature as a command line. If not, then I suppose a hotkey will do until Maya officially adds this as a tool because it VERY handy.

https://www.epochat.weebly.com

https://www.flickr.com/photos/49619455@N06/4548218903/

# 10 25-04-2010 , 01:53 AM
Lifetime Member
Did you find the hotkey address from my pic mate?? was a pain to find as its noy named properly.

cheers bullet

here is something that might help, you can add a MEL script to the shelf apparently (I know nothing about scripting, sorry).

https://caad.arch.ethz.ch/info/maya/m...fm.html#251636

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 25-04-2010 at 02:00 AM.