Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 18-07-2010 , 02:56 AM
Lifetime Member

Frag grenade

Got bored so I went back to my Armoury collection I have started. This is the first complete model...I have a sidewinder to go and about 50 models of antiquity as well as modern era stuff...yep wish me luck...should finish it in about 50 years. I know I could buy or download the models (Roman swords..sheilds..Greek, Persian, English etc) but I figure...why buy..just make and get better at modelling??

cheers bullet

P.S for the noobs..Im a noob and this was about 3 hours.

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 2 18-07-2010 , 05:34 AM
EduSciVis-er
Cool, nice work! I'd be tempted to say that the grooves look a bit soft/smooth, though it's hard to say from the ref image.

# 3 18-07-2010 , 06:30 AM
Lifetime Member
Thanks mate,

yeh it was a bit hard to determine....some are hard some other refs are smooth....so I went for the easy option. The only mistake I mad was the shape at the upper...it should have been a little more expanded.

Still gives the noobs something to do and emulate...not too haerd a thing really..

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 18-07-2010 , 12:39 PM
Lifetime Member
And an arrow for the boredom, dont know how Im going to do the flights...hhhmmmmmmmmm

cheers bullet

never did any fletching etc etc

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 5 18-07-2010 , 03:53 PM

Originally posted by bullet1968

never did any fletching etc etc

I have, lots!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 18-07-2010 , 09:08 PM
Technical Director
Looks ok. I would also say that the edges look too smooth.

Btw, this shouldn't be in Maya chat. It should either be in the noob, or wip sections.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 7 18-07-2010 , 09:17 PM
Lifetime Member
Hey gster are you taki the mickey??? LOL

Thanks ND I dont want it in WIP...bugger that...I have 20 models to do in this venture. Its just general banter.....I could ask to move it to noob.

Yeh its a little smooth but I figure later when I get to texture stage I will fix it with a bump map??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 8 19-07-2010 , 01:55 AM
EduSciVis-er
Well, this looks an awful lot like a work in progress, no offense, but you've obviously got a project in the works (all this cool weapons and armour), so I say no harm in putting in there, where you'll get a lot of the comments you're looking for. Keep it up!

I'm also having a bit of trouble getting the fletching on a lego bow and arrow. Not a trivial thing!

# 9 19-07-2010 , 03:58 AM
Lifetime Member
bahahahaha....yeh you are both right BUT I dont want to get roped up into a full on WIP atm. I have enough on my plate now with the 3D design on a city layout...sigh...sigh...

It is a mess and a nightmare to get my head around.

Ok Mods move it to WIP please....if any of you glance back in here.

You do realise I have about 20...yes 20 FOLDERS with all different artifacts to produce.....so it will be a LONG WIP. Im going for shields, swords, bows, arrows, modern small arms, missiles etc etc. I want this as a base so when I do planes..tanks..Knights..etc etc I have all the base bits ready to go.

cheers bullet

thanks stwert for the kudos

Edit...I will do the flights as I did the arrowhead mate. Didnt quite work out but it aint easy.......

bullet1968

Last edited by bullet1968; 19-07-2010 at 04:03 AM.
# 10 19-07-2010 , 07:40 AM

Originally posted by bullet1968
Hey gster are you taki the mickey??? LOL

No, I used to do archery and built my own arrows, I've done a hell of a lot of fletching!

# 11 19-07-2010 , 08:18 AM
Lifetime Member
Wow....ok Steve..I know who to come to when my eldest boy gets to start archery at the end of the year????? bahahahaha you are marked now mate. He is doing Karate but is getting too good too quick and needs more of a distraction. He loves weapons so I thought he could do archery (cos I loved it wehen I was his age..12). It will of course depend on costs etc...Karate costs over 2 grand a year for the 2 elder boys...and I know archery isnt cheap. I will have to look it up...I promised him 6 months ago he could have a go but now Im back in Perth the money is crap.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 12 19-07-2010 , 08:37 AM
Yeah, depending on the route you go.

I shot for England an Great Britian under 18's recurve. The bow, stabilisers, sight etc was about £1200 and the arrows were about £13 each! Though beginners stuff is a lot less (you used to be able to get going for about £200 - £300.

Good thing is once youve got the basics of the technique its more practice than anything to impove.

Steve

# 13 19-07-2010 , 10:03 AM
Lifetime Member
Yeh thats true....my boy has an uncanny ability to pick things up real quick!!! Im a demon for an old fella at games and usually flog them but they are getting better LOL. AND I bought him an RC chopper...I RC cars really easy..I couldnt fly the damn thing!!! He picked up the radio and BOOM flew across the street and back..hovered and then laughed at me!!! Little turd

cheers bullet

Thanks Mods...sigh...more work

bullet1968

# 14 19-07-2010 , 10:13 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok one English arrow....no not textured yet...just colours for show. I will just model the basics and texture when I have had more experience.

cheers bullet

Attached Thumbnails

bullet1968

# 15 02-08-2010 , 02:56 AM
I like everything so far but i would think the spoon where it connects to the top of the pineapple looked off to me. Maybe an angle thing.

Is there a reason you are doing these 50+ weapons or is this a personal project?