Thanks a lot for your time guys.
I tried the last suggestion before I posted this question and it was glitching and was all jerky and so I was hoping I was doing it wrong or there was another way, but now it's working so I'm happy.
So in case anyone else was wondering here are the steps to change the axis of your rotation tool.
1. Hit F8 key to go into component mode
2. Click the question mark icon that's located near the center in the menu at the top
3. Select rotate tool then select an object and click on either the x y or z that appears.
4. Use the Rotate tool to rotate the pivot-like thingie with the x y and z on it to where you want the new axis to be
5. Hit F8 again to exit component mode and now you can use the rotate tool on the object to rotate it in the new axis you set.