Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 31 08-01-2004 , 04:45 PM
Subscriber
I don't get the 80% CPU Usage thing either.

When I render any of the files I've created, I get a full 100%, so there's something going on with the test file that is causing my system to behave differently than normal.

I've also got a disadvantage with the XEON processor, in that my FSB is only 500Mhz and my RAM Bus is 333Mhz. Those are both slower than is available with the straight P4 processor.

I'll be happy with my 46 seconds for now... user added image

Last edited by james_s; 08-01-2004 at 04:53 PM.
# 32 08-01-2004 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
I know that the file was not created on Maya 5. So, if you have Maya 5, try opening it and saving it. Then open it again (so you've opened your maya 5 saved version) and see if that makes a difference.... it would be dumb if it did though!

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 33 08-01-2004 , 04:58 PM
Subscriber
Yeah, I thought about that and tried it. Didn't make any difference.

I did notice that performance monitor is showing a lot (around 10%) of kernel activity while rendering this particular file. That's WAAAAY up from what I normally see.

Also, do you have any idea why performance monitor shows 4 CPUs on my dual-processor system? I think it has to do with the Hyperthreading, but I'm not certain.

Also, I just snagged RenderCorp's Netscale Unlimited product and can't WAIT to get Maya installed on my 4 and 6 CPU HP Netservers (4 and 6GB RAM, respectively) and get some SERIOUS rendering done! :bgreen: :bgreen: :bgreen:

# 34 08-01-2004 , 05:13 PM
Subscriber
I'll re-run the render later and have a look at the kernel and see what it does.

4GPU's in the performance monitor is your hyperthreading. Each CPU is seen as 2 logical CPU's.

I envy you having access to a render farm, but I'm thinking you should stick your Wildcat in your 6 CPU server and have some fun!!! user added image

BTW, maybe you can verify something for me: When you set up your renderfarm, do you need to install all of Maya or just copy mayabatch.exe?

That'll do donkey... that'll do...
# 35 08-01-2004 , 05:31 PM
Subscriber
It's not a "real" render farm. It's my SQL Server and one of my Terminal Servers that I noticed had some spare clock cycles... :p

Anyway, as far as I know, the entire Maya application has to be loaded. The flexlm license then gets pointed back to your lock. If you're looking at doing any render farm stuff, check out NetScale -- it's being introduced at less than $300, I think.

I used RenderMax and it worked quite well. NetScale is even better. The FrameScatter option is great, because it splits your single frame render into pieces that get rendered by the farm and then re-assembled on your screen -- it's FAST. Also, you can manage your farm over the Web, which is nice.

Now, if I could just learn enough Maya to be employable in the field... user added image

# 36 08-01-2004 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
Yup, I've looked at how I can "Share" a liscence and so far it seems that the only way at the moment is to swap from Maya to Lightwave - Which after spending "a few bob on Maya" I really don't want to do.
As far as I know you have to pay full amount for each liscence.

If there's any way to network two P.C's on Maya together cheaper - then please let me know. (Could do with some facts before I contact them - my pal's liscence is running out soon) and he will have to pay for his own - was hoping to share costs.

Regards Scraggy

Last edited by Scraggy_dog; 08-01-2004 at 11:21 PM.
# 37 09-01-2004 , 02:26 PM
Subscriber
I think maybe two separate issues are getting mixed up here...

If the intention is to run two copies of Maya on a network so that two users can work simultaneously, then yes, you have to have two licenses.

However, if you are setting up a small render farm, Alias will provide the necessary unlock codes to install a "floating" render node license that can be served up to 9,999 CPUs simultaneously at no extra charge.

# 38 09-01-2004 , 11:08 PM
Subscriber
I See now - I was confusing the two issues - sorry. Scraggy

# 39 15-01-2004 , 02:48 PM
That file on Highend3D is not necessarily representative of Maya performance. I've done a wider range of benchmarks and the results are dramatically different on the G5 depending on what you're doing:

Here's my CGTalk thread about it. I've provided links to the test files as well.

https://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php...=Maya+PowerMac

Bottom line is that for Mental Ray renders and wrap deformers the dual 2 GHz Mac does quite well, but it lags in some other areas.

This tells me that a G5 optimized Maya could be a huge improvement.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com
# 40 15-01-2004 , 05:31 PM

Originally posted by mark_wilkins
Bottom line is that for Mental Ray renders and wrap deformers the dual 2 GHz Mac does quite well, but it lags in some other areas.

I can understand that one benefits of a dual processor system in rendering but is Maya using both processors on a mac when working in the GUI? It sure isn't on a PC, which is sad user added image (or maybe they have changed things in 5.0?)

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 41 15-01-2004 , 05:34 PM
Based on my tests, it looks like certain nodes may be MP-aware. The wrap deformer is one that seems to get twice as fast when you use a second processor.

Even so, the 2 GHz G5 does OK, almost as well as a 3 GHz P4, on certain things that are not MP-aware.

-- Mark

Mark R. Wilkins
author of MEL Scripting for Maya Animators
www.melscripting.com