Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   SimplyMaya Tutorials (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   New SimplyMaya tutorial series: Interiors and Furniture (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40796)

jamiem1670 20-10-2014 04:13 PM

That's solved it. Thanks David.

Really enjoying the tutorial so far :)

jamiem1670 09-11-2014 03:46 PM

Can't copy UVs

Hi David,

I am currently working through your UVLayout tutorial (uv_layout_part_03). Another great tutorial btw.

I did the UV's for the first leg and then tried to copy those across to the other legs but the software said 'No unflattened matching geometry found'.

I them manually did the UV's for a second leg to see if they would copy across to the remaining 2 legs but it presented the same error message.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Screengrab attached.

Thanks,

Jamie

https://2d9222ae80acadb954f7eb1c3e79...c/Capture2.jpg

David 09-11-2014 04:16 PM

Glad you're enjoying the series so much.

Are you sure you have flattened the entire leg in the uv view? it might be the bottom or the top pieces that are not flattened in the uv view. even though they don't technically need it you still need to do it. Just hit f then drag a box around everything in the uv view just to make sure, if that does not work i'll look into it further for you.

All the best
Dave

rBose 10-11-2014 12:36 AM

Hello everyone, I am following the modeling & cloth parts which so far have been excellent but I have a small issue, do you guys know where we can get the same picture which David uses for the surface detail on the drawers ?

daverave 10-11-2014 09:02 AM

Do a google search for "decorative photoshop" there are loads..................dave

David 10-11-2014 12:08 PM

I think you mean this one http://all-free-download.com/free-ve...art_12814.html

Like daverave says you can find loads of this kicking about :)

Glad you're enjoying the tutorial
Dave

rBose 11-11-2014 04:11 PM

Thank you David.

jamiem1670 12-11-2014 09:04 PM

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply to my 'Can't copy UVs' post. They were definitely flattened.

I still can't copy them across to the other legs. I even went back into Maya and deleted 3 of the legs and then duplicated the remaining one 3 times, just to make sure i was working with matching topolgy but it still wouldn't copy across in UVLayout.

The copy function in UVLayout is definitely working because i tried it with 4 simple cubes that i exported from Maya and it worked perfectly!

In the end I just manually did it for all four legs. It didn't take long.

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Cheers,

Jamie

David 25-11-2014 02:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
VRay done at last, sorry about the delay I wanted to hold it till VRay 3 came out of beta

Go here for the tutorial and larger images http://simplymaya.com/autodesk-maya-...om/?tut_id=364

Enjoy any questions feel free to ask.
David :)

Attachment 1 top image: VRay lit from the front, color grade A
Attachment 2 middle image: VRay lit from the front, color grade B
Attachment 3 bottom image: Mental ray backlit

rimcrazy 03-12-2014 01:53 AM

I have a quick question. I just got the Vray 3 interiors tutorial and I'm working my way through the series. I am using Maya 2015 Ext 1 SP5 with VRay 3. I notice that both in IPR mode and in the viewport window I do not get any GI rendering. My setup, I believe, is exactly what you have in the tutorial. If I click for a render, the GI comes through but both Vray RT and the Vray Viewport do not render GI. Is there some special check box I need to set for this to work?

David 03-12-2014 02:23 AM

rimcrazy whats your GI depth set to under the RT settings? and what gfx card do you have in the machine vray rt can be a bit particular about the gfx card.

rimcrazy 03-12-2014 04:02 AM

Hi David,

Thanks for the quick response. The GI depth is set to 3, the Trace depth is set to 5. I have an NVidia K5000 Quadro card with 4Gb of video Ram. Should be more than enough I would think. I just checked with the NVidia website and I am running the latest version of Quadro driver, 340.66.

ampted 20-12-2014 05:52 PM

merge vertex

Hi and thank you for a Great tut. Im having problem in video 2. When you convert nurbs to poly and are merging vertexes in the New poly object. I cant Get the vertexes merget.

PierreLeSang 24-12-2014 01:02 PM

Great tuts. Thx very much David. When's the Maxwell Render tut coming ?

rimcrazy 24-12-2014 01:07 PM

I'm still having the same issue with problem that GI renders do not appear in the Viewport or IPR renders. Is there something else I need to look at?

PierreLeSang 26-12-2014 05:59 PM

rimcrazy use render settings from project files and compare them with yours OR restore default render setting and check GI, then render.

serkestudio 16-01-2015 04:50 AM

Hey David. I'm about the start the UV Layoit and it's going to be my first time with that software. If I buy the student version will work for what we do here in this tutorial? Or should better download the hobbiest trial?? Thanks!!!

David 16-01-2015 10:27 AM

Hi serkestudio the student version should be just fine

Hope you enjoy the tutorial
David

serkestudio 29-01-2015 02:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey David, I just finished the modeling, still want to add a couple things but I'll start the mapping first. But I have a question out of subject and you might help me. Take a look to my occlusion....why is there so much "noise" Itried moving the pixels from 72 to 150 and nothing, you can see this is a big image too. Im putting 128 samples, spread 0.7, max distance 500, and reflective on... what can I do to get an smoother image? thanks!!

David 29-01-2015 02:15 PM

The noise in this case I believe is coming from the AA not being high enough, not the AO.

Go into the render settings, then quality, then turn up your unified sampling quality to around 1 and try again.

I hope you're enjoying the tutorial thus far :)
All the best
Dave

serkestudio 03-03-2015 02:36 AM

hey David, im still here doing this little by little :). quick question, how do you uv map the drapes using UVlayout? any advise? Im using Shift F but it doesn't seems to be taking me to safe port...I assumed that it should be easy as they are rectangle planes. thanks!

David 03-03-2015 03:02 AM

If you created the drapes using marvelous designer you should not need to uv them, as md should have created the uv as well as the geo. Uving such a high Polly object is never easy ;) one of the reasons I use md is because you should not have to.

Put a checked map on the drapes you should see it's square and even if not post an image of what it looks like and I'll be better able to help. Will have to wait till tomorrow though I'm just about to hit the sack

David

serkestudio 04-03-2015 11:49 PM

ok that was amazing lol!!! it totally worked in a way I can believe it!! thanks!

serkestudio 25-04-2015 02:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
David,

Is there any chance I can send you a file for you to check whats wrong? it seems everything is ok until I create the "image based lighting", after created when I render everything is totally plain...much different to the result you get in the video, don't know what im doing wrong.

One thing is that Im enabling the color control management from the render settings, but thats should be the issue, Ive try several ways and everything goes off when I do the image based lighting.

Thanks for the help.

Below are the images of before and after that lighting.

David 25-04-2015 02:39 AM

@serkestudio sure email me the file david@simplymaya.com and i'll take a look at it it won't be until tomorrow though as it's already past midnight here.

David :)

serkestudio 25-04-2015 02:48 PM

Thanks David. I sent you the email a couple hours ago. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks.

David 25-04-2015 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got it but i can't quite see the problem if i simply hit render on that scene you sent me i get the result you see attached below. Which is exactly what i'd expect to see when i hit render at this stage of the tutorial.

If you open the file you just send me and hit render do you get a different result from the one below?

You might try deleting your prefs folder http://knowledge.autodesk.com/suppor...o-Default.html

When you've done that render the file. Honestly i simply opened it and hit render so i think there must be something else going on. I'm also using Maya 2015 should not make much difference for this but...

serkestudio 25-04-2015 04:51 PM

Do you have the image based lighting already set up in that file?

David 25-04-2015 04:54 PM

Wait! now i look at your image i would say you've accidentally deleted or otherwise disabled your directional light.

Turn of default lighting -> render settings -> common -> render options untick enable default lighting. If your scene renders black then somehow your main light has been uncoupled form the scene. Create a new directional light and render again

David 25-04-2015 04:55 PM

yes image based lighting was set up but see my post above i get exactly the same result as you when i disable the directional light and default lighting kicks in so i'd say that was the problem

serkestudio 25-04-2015 05:07 PM

Thanks David. I'll wait for my baby to sleep and try again. Thanks!

serkestudio 25-04-2015 10:24 PM

great thanks!! it worked!!!

David 25-04-2015 10:30 PM

No problem i should have spotted it right away but i always render with default lighting turned off, so i didn't think of it.

Glad you got it sorted out. Keep posting up your wips, love the little tweaks you've made to the scene.

serkestudio 12-06-2015 12:40 AM

3 Attachment(s)
hi David, I almost have the night scene ready, but it seems my final gather accuracy isn't enough, please see the attachments. Ive tune up some values already. What could you recommend me? thanks!!

David 12-06-2015 12:51 AM

I'm on my mobile at the moment so I can't really get a good look at what's going on. I can tell you the your quality settings are already more than high enough it looks like.

If you can send me your file david@ simplymaya.com and I'll take a look when I get back on a desktop machine tomorrow. I don't need the textures btw.

serkestudio 16-06-2015 01:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi David,

The render is looking better but I’m still getting some hotspots, do I keep turning up the FG accuracy and point density until it disappear? also crank up the point interpolation? Just want to know if Im in the right path or if there is something else I should be looking at.

thanks!!

sinontherocks 29-08-2016 11:11 PM

Hello,

I'm not sure if anybody is still checking this. I am trying to do this tutorial, but all of the downloads are missing textures needed to complete the course (ie the floorplan and the texture with all the different scaffolding shapes). I'm really confused as to where I'm supposed to get these. I've emailed admin and I don't see anywhere I can call. Help.

David 30-08-2016 08:08 AM

Hi sorry about the delay you can find the extra files here

http://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41463

I hope that helps anything else please email me directly dave@simplymaya.com and i'll get back to you much sooner

ilmare90 16-11-2016 04:57 PM

Hi David,

I have a question about the mesh we export from MD, may I weld or unweld the mesh?
And the exported mesh has already the UV right?
Please reply as soon as you can. anyway, thank you for the tutorial.

Aprianto

David 16-11-2016 05:11 PM

Hi Aprianto,

You can have the mesh welded or not, depends if you want to deal with separate geo wich can be useful sometimes. You can always combine it in maya later.

Any yes the exported mesh already has uv's.

Good luck with the tutorial.
David