Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Previous Challenges (Archives) (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Fall Challenge - Adventure Hero! (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33035)

mtmckinley 08-09-2009 05:23 PM

Fall Challenge - Adventure Hero!

Serial Adventure Hero!

http://rcrawford79.files.wordpress.c...iana_jones.jpg
http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/ima...1099971628.jpg
http://gry.onet.pl/_i/galerie/sexy/l...versary_03.jpg

Welcome to the next challenge! Let's kick it up a notch. This challenge's topic is Adventure Heroes! Zorro, Indiana Jones, Buck Rogers, Sherlock Holmes, Flash Gordon... all of these classic heroes all had a swashbuckling, over-the-top, sometimes cheesy and campy nature that was just overflowing in adventure, excitement, and just no-worries fun for the whole family on a Saturday morning radio serial.

In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style! It could be a Dick Tracy crime character, a tomb-raiding Lara Croft type, a Sci-Fi Flash Gordon style... the limit is only your imagination!

A couple guides:

1) Texturing is not required... but encouraged.

2) You can be super-duper-high-res or do low-poly game models... your choice!

3) Name your threads something like Hero Name : Your Name

4) Any 3D or 2D program can be used.

Feel free to ask any questions in this thread. There's no prize yet, but if that changes, I'll let you know. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

Deadline Noon November 30th (USA Pacific Time)!

tweetytunes 08-09-2009 05:29 PM

OOOooooooh I like it

ColdWave 08-09-2009 05:49 PM

Very cool i'm in again.

p.s Mastone your indiana is here :D :D :D :D

stwert 08-09-2009 06:50 PM

Almost three whole months for this one... I may actually finish something this time :)

Joopson 08-09-2009 07:45 PM

OH GEEZUM!
Sounds flipping fun!
I hope I have time.... I will sketch either way ;)
We will see.

Dango77 08-09-2009 08:27 PM

Sounds great! I have a couple of ideas that might be fun to do, but as with Joopson I'll have to work out if I have the time to put into it. Don't want to have to back out half way through again...lol

Though 3 months does make it quite a bit easier to do this and other projects at the same time!

mastone 08-09-2009 08:52 PM

If someone does Indiana Jones ............ I"ll have to kill that person.............LOL.

Yes Coldwave you had it correctly it 's my Indy and MINE ALONE WHOAAAAAHAHAHAHAH.

But it wouldn't be fair for me to be entering with a farely completed image whilest others will have to start from scratch.

Who is that guy in the middle picture anyways? don't know him :)

Not sure if I will enter though I still have to finish Indy(and the surroundings -I am still modeling the cloister of petra in Jordany, the place I want to pose him in and maybe if I deem it good enough I will send a final image to 3d world and after that I want to finish Voldemort properly And I do like to sleep occasionally..... :)

Dango77 08-09-2009 09:16 PM

If you read the criteria for this challenge again, it says
"In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style!"
Meaning you couldn't enter a character that already exists anyway.

Hope it stay's this way, I'd personally prefer it wasn't a mix of newly made characters, and one's that already exist, like a couple of the challenges have been changed to part way through.
One or the other is fine, but together seems a bit too un-categorised for me.

Just my opinion though!

tweetytunes 08-09-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mastone
Who is that guy in the middle picture anyways? don't know him :)

That my man is Nathan Fillion aka Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds

My god did they not have Firefly in the Netherlands , fantastic little show (thank you joss - stuff you FOX errrrr ) and a monster of a movie Serenity (the name of the ship in firefly - in case you get confused film based of the tv show).

I think my character is going to alone the lines of this guy sci fi westerns are sooo cool.

stwert 08-09-2009 09:38 PM

+1 on firefly being an awesome show!! :)

mastone 08-09-2009 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by tweetytunes
That my man is Nathan Fillion aka Captain Malcolm 'Mal' Reynolds
My god did they not have Firefly in the Netherlands , fantastic little show (thank you joss - stuff you FOX errrrr ) and a monster of a movie Serenity (the name of the ship in firefly - in case you get confused film based of the tv show).

I think my character is going to alone the lines of this guy sci fi westerns are sooo cool.

I think they have aired that show actually and maybe I have watched it on a blue monday but it didn't stick I guess.
I don't watch that much tv actually If I look at my tv i either bought a new videogame or I have a new blueray disc or something

Quote:

Originally posted by
Dango77

If you read the criteria for this challenge again, it says
"In this challenge, challenge yourself in creating your very own serial adventure hero in this style!"

Thank god no Indy rapists....If I see only one Fedora.... LOL

Lion`I 08-09-2009 11:57 PM

I’m up for a challenge, so count me in

:beer:

honestdom 10-09-2009 04:09 PM

looks like i have a free weekend (the girlfriend is away at a festival)

so....

I think i might try a low poly character. I have a couple of questions tho.

How many polys would be a limit for a hero character in a next gen game?
What size maps would a hero model have?

Dango77 10-09-2009 04:15 PM

The average poly count for a next gen game character is around 10-12000 as far as I know, for main characters a few games have gone as far as 20000,but that's not the norm,and map sizes are either 512 or 1028, but some are now using multiple maps and I'm not sure the sizes when they do that, I'd assume 512 for each, but could all be 1028....

honestdom 10-09-2009 04:23 PM

I just saw the wireframe for the Infamous character, it seems pretty high res.
I just wanted something low poly so i could bash out a lot of the work over the weekend. 20k seems pretty generous i shall look into this game modeling thing.

...i assume you mean 1024 :P

ColdWave 10-09-2009 04:24 PM

Is this hero main ?
Is it a side creature... depends...

I use about 3k or less for creatures.

For next gen is about 10k Triangles.

The map for some MMOS are 512x512 but for some other games they use 1024x1024... Everything depends on the engine!
The engine set the poly count and the maps size...

Dango77 10-09-2009 04:26 PM

Yeah, 20k really isn't what they usually use, 10k is pretty standard, as far as I know environments are around about the quarter of a million mark or just over.
Give it a few years and characters will be at 50k and environments topping half a million, that'll be fun!

Also I was quoting main characters as that's what this challenge is all about, so it'd be a bit lower for secondary characters.

honestdom 10-09-2009 04:30 PM

its cool, i'll set myself the limit of 25k... its next gen after all! :P

Dango77 10-09-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
its cool, i'll set myself the limit of 25k... its next gen after all! :P
Haha, yeah, with the way my characters are going it'll be NEXT NEXT gen.....lol

My smiler is at just over 26k, so it could be slightly reduced I guess, but then, it's not actually for a game, so I won't! lol!

ColdWave 10-09-2009 04:47 PM

You are living now not in the future so for now standart is 10k-12k nothing more. In future we may be able to make it 100000k so am i suppose to do a character with 1milion just to keep it 50 years from now so i can be next gen :p

Just pointing out my understanding ...

Good luck to all!

p.s This time i will texture my model!!!!:bandit:

Dango77 10-09-2009 05:06 PM

True Coldwave, just want to point out one thing though,

In the next few years ( say a maximum of 5 or so) there could well be another step up in consoles, a next next gen, which would go along the lines of far more processing power, so for someone like me who's only just started in 3d, I don't think there's anything wrong of thinking ahead, it'll take a couple of years to get the knowledge and practice needed so by then I'll be on par with the current technology.

If I was close to working in the industry now I'd agree to stay with as low poly as possible, but I think preparing for the future is a bit of a better idea for now, just takes some logical thinking to work out what poly limits will be in the not too distant future. 5 years isn't a long time after all, and time does fly by as you get older! lol

Just my opinion mate, I don't know what path of 3d I'd like to pursue yet anyway so poly limits are a side concern for me at the moment.

honestdom 10-09-2009 05:14 PM

ok, gonna aim for 15k or less.

mastone 10-09-2009 06:14 PM

I think people aim to much at getting a maximum amount of poly's in their character here :)
Thing is you have to model as efficient as possible even in next next gen if you can do a character with 6000 tris don't make it 8000.
And Hammer if you are really making a gamecharacter try doing a retopology workflow;
-make basemeshes in maya( do a quick uv mapping)
-go to ZBrush/mudbox for high detailing
-go to maya import a midres model back into maya and make a lowresscage of the midress model(I use DRAster tools from Nex it has a great "make live"tool which makes it very easy to draw over de midress creating a efficient lowpoly character then do a proper uv mapping and bake the normal map with a tool called XNormal (very good tool it makes better normal maps and easier then ZBrush and can handle more poly's then Maya)

ColdWave 10-09-2009 06:37 PM

can you give us NEX too :D i don't have cash to buy it :p :p :p :p

honestdom 10-09-2009 08:15 PM

Quote:

I think people aim to much at getting a maximum amount of poly's in their character here :)
Thing is you have to model as efficient as possible even in next next gen if you can do a character with 6000 tris don't make it 8000.
And Hammer if you are really making a gamecharacter try doing a retopology workflow;
-make basemeshes in maya( do a quick uv mapping)
-go to ZBrush/mudbox for high detailing
-go to maya import a midres model back into maya and make a lowresscage of the midress model(I use DRAster tools from Nex it has a great "make live"tool which makes it very easy to draw over de midress creating a efficient lowpoly character then do a proper uv mapping and bake the normal map with a tool called XNormal (very good tool it makes better normal maps and easier then ZBrush and can handle more poly's then Maya)

i did say "or less" so i will aim for less. :)

that workflow sounds very convoluted, I'll stick to what i know. :)
I've never intended to work in games and they are not really something i know much about. I just thought it would be quicker as i only really have this weekend and then its here and there from then on.

mastone 10-09-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by hammer.horror
i did say "or less" so i will aim for less. :)

that workflow sounds very convoluted, I'll stick to what i know. :)
I've never intended to work in games and they are not really something i know much about. I just thought it would be quicker as i only really have this weekend and then its here and there from then on.

The polycount thing was a general remark as I hear people shouting ridiculous polycounts like 10K as far as i know A 6/7 K polycount is acceptabel for a maincharacter nowadays.

And a retopology workflow is something you can use in a postproductionsetting aswell since my guess is that when you guys animate you want an efficient model for animating aswell.
The big plus for a retopo workflow to me is that you can make a "stickman" in Maya and completely build a character in ZBrush (It is a lot quicker when it comes to shaping and reshaping in zbrush) and when your done decide think about an eficient edgeflow for animation without worrying to much about the character looks and so on.

But does as you like of course it's only a suggestion:beer:

Dango77 10-09-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

The polycount thing was a general remark as I hear people shouting ridiculous polycounts like 10K as far as i know A 6/7 K polycount is acceptabel for a maincharacter nowadays.

I got that info from a sybex book on game creation using Maya, the word ridiculous isn't quite the right one....
You can use a less poly model, there's nothing wrong with doing so,but why would you when technology allows you to use more just as easily, and you can even make the smaller details better allowing for close up shots etc?

A larger poly count only allows for more freedom in my opinion, but then once again it's only my opinion and I am quite new to 3d so may quite well be wrong! lol

I just don't like being restricted in creativity! (Maybe game modelling just isn't for me...haha)

stwert 10-09-2009 10:44 PM

Well, I don't really know much about low poly, but I think if you are restricted to lower poly numbers, you will be forced to be efficient and precise and poorly constructed meshes won't let you use each poly in the best spot, if that makes any sense.

If you're free to throw a ton of polys around, you'll be more likely to have a sloppy mesh... I guess it's analogous to... well I can't really think of anything at the moment, but if you learn low poly well, you'll be better at higher res?

Feel free to contradict me and abuse my post :)

Chirone 11-09-2009 12:57 AM

*throws rocks at sqwerts post* TAKE THAT POST :angery:

no i'm kidding of course. it's like being everything you want as a little kid... you grow up spoilt and weak and unable to do anything yourself, whereas if you have to work for stuff or you have limited resources you find ways of using them efficiently... actually i think i started mixing multiple analogies together...

texture/bump/normal/displacement maps solve a lot of the details issues anyway
not sure how much of a performance hit they have actually, but considering they are favoured over actual verts they must be better?

mtmckinley 11-09-2009 10:12 PM

to maybe help people out who don't completely understand the premise of this challenge, some examples of existing serial adventure heroes are:

Buck Rogers
Zorro
Flash Gordon
Dick Tracy
Lara Croft
Nathan Drake
The Rocketeer
The Three Musketeers
The Shadow
The Phantom
The Green Hornet
Indiana Jones
The Lone Ranger
Doctor Who
James Bond
Malcolm Reynolds
Sherlock Holmes
Dirk Pitt
Robin Hood
Snake Plisskin
Han Solo
Luke Skywalker
Rick O'Connell
The Man With No Name (Clint Eastwood western hero)

Just to name a few...

iamcreasy 14-09-2009 02:39 AM

can i model something non-organic!...Something like a transformer...Optimus Prime is a hero too... :D

iamcreasy 14-09-2009 03:47 AM

or something like iron man!... :)

iamcreasy 14-09-2009 03:54 AM

or something like...."MY IRON MAN which can TRANSFORM!"....

iamcreasy 14-09-2009 03:55 AM

i hope im not getting too much weird.... :p

elephantinc 14-09-2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by iamcreasy
i hope im not getting too much weird.... :p
nope, but you are quadruple posting :p

I guess you could as long as its an adventure hero

mtmckinley 14-09-2009 07:21 PM

sure, that could work, but if done creatively. Not just a straight copy of Optimus Prime.

Chirone 14-09-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mtmckinley
sure, that could work, but if done creatively. Not just a straight copy of Optimus Prime.
oh sweet, then i might be in after all

iamcreasy 15-09-2009 12:21 PM

just for curiosity...can one person can submit more then one project?

mtmckinley 15-09-2009 02:22 PM

Seeing as how most people find it a challenge to complete one entry, it's not usually an issue, but since there is no prize to give away, if you'd like to submit more than one that's fine. If a prize comes up to be given out to a winner, then in that case will only one entry be allowed per person.

tweetytunes 15-09-2009 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by iamcreasy
just for curiosity...can one person can submit more then one project?
hahahaha more than one - Im out of work and only have time for one