Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lighting & Rendering (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   What Am I Missing?!!! Maya 6.5 Render (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15322)

Russell 05-02-2005 06:25 AM

What Am I Missing?!!! Maya 6.5 Render

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

As of late, I haven't gotten any responses to recent posts so I'll try again. I recently got my hands on Maya 6.5 and lemme tell ya, it has so many new tools and tool sets as well as improved rendering with a better implimented Final Gathering setup.
That said, I have to ask, I recently tried to render a model of mine using the provided ambient occlusion and now, ta da(!), subsurface scattering shaders and I just feel as if I'm missing something. Please look at me image and tell me what I'm missing, anything at all! Thanks in advance! :)

Your friend,
Russell

metallicjet66 12-03-2005 12:35 PM

ur not missin anything(except for a light)

Russell 16-03-2005 06:00 PM

How's This? :)

1 Attachment(s)
Better?

Russell

mhcannon 16-03-2005 06:02 PM

wow, much more vibrant! Have you figured out you're SSS issue on this shader? If so, I'd like to see this with rim light to see how it looks on the thin areas of the ear.

Russell 16-03-2005 06:07 PM

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! :)

I feel better now. Thanks for the comments. I'll see about adding a rim light (BTW, not to sound like a total goof but... what's a rim light? LOL! - Fill Light = Rim Light?) and we'll see what this bad boy can do. :) Thanks to looking at The Incredibles all day, I think I've figured it out. I also added some softer shadows to make it all blend in.

Thanks again,
Russell

Russell 16-03-2005 06:13 PM

Soooo, he's not too pink? Not too much specular highlights?

Russell

mhcannon 16-03-2005 06:18 PM

lighting terms

Sorry, using photography terminology. A fill light is use to lighten up shadowed areas in order to pull out more detail. A rim light is placed behind a subject to create a sillouette and/or a light bleed halo around the edges of subject.

Russell 16-03-2005 11:56 PM

How 'Bout This?

1 Attachment(s)
I love this shot!

Russell

mhcannon 17-03-2005 12:01 AM

I'd say you're nailing the effect. See the rosey areas in the lobes where light is filtering throgh. Well done! yeah he's a little pink, but he's also cartoonish so it works out ok.

I'm inspired to try SSS now... of course I have to get model down better first :)

Russell 17-03-2005 12:12 AM

Michael, you really should give SubScatter a try. It took me forever to figure out what I was doing. I think the payoff has, well, paid off... in spades. :) OT re: the model itself, I think I need to monkey with his eye sockets and nose. Never have been happy with those. But if the impression is of him being cartoony, I may just leave it. Maybe his eyes are sunk in as a result of too much alcohol, ya think? Thanks again for your kind words. Now, time to finish building the rest of him, including the other ear, addition od arms, torso and legs, tho you don't see his legs onscreen. Hmmmmmmmm...

Russell

Russell 17-03-2005 10:06 PM

One Omitted Detail...

I forgot, y'all. This stuff wasn't rendered in 6.5. I figured I'd go back and see if I could get SubScatter to work in 6.0 and, obviously, it did. Also, I added a type of ambient occlusion shader as well (Dirtmap) to give it that slightly grainy look as well. Thanks for the support.

Russell