Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Windows 7?? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31689)

honestdom 07-01-2009 04:34 PM

Windows 7??

What? never heard of it!

i've never even used Vista yet!

...but didn't Vista just come out yesterday? I feel like i'm falling behind the times.

gster123 07-01-2009 04:41 PM

Yup been in the pipelines for a bit now.

Its pretty much a response to vista being dogged with problems when it first came out. I've only used vista on virtual machine and I didnt really see that much of a problem with it once you get used to it. Though thats not really a prelonged test in all honestly.

Some of the features on windows 7 looks pretty good, reading an article about it, it seems like its lighter than vista and faster.

I'm running XP and have no thoughts of going to vista unless i'm forced in some way.

BennyK 07-01-2009 06:04 PM

I'm doing just fine with XP right now but I've heard Microsoft redeemed themselves with this one... It's supposed to be everything that Vista was supposed to be in the first place...
But we'll just have to wait and see for ourselves :D
Benny

gster123 07-01-2009 06:37 PM

Yeah aparantly Benny, thats the blurb.

Think though I'll wait till its been out for a bit till I upgrade.

AnthonyCg 07-01-2009 07:59 PM

I dunno. Sounds like it may alienate a lot of vista buyers.

alexanderH 07-01-2009 08:39 PM

it looks like MAC OS.

gster123 07-01-2009 11:13 PM

I was waiting for that.

Thats like saying maya looks like 3dsmax.

that one car look like another cos its got 4 doors

elephantinc 08-01-2009 12:38 AM

Well now that you mention it most cars do look similar :p

MS lost me with Vista and im glad i switched

(correct me if im wrong but..) Windows 7 doesnt look like it has anything that mac osx hasnt got....

gster123 08-01-2009 01:34 AM

Blue ray maybe?? every new hardware upgrade, not form a short tied list?? ability to resize windows form every corner??......

Oh wait thats just XP or vista......

What do you see in windows 7 thats alredy in OSX?

elephantinc 08-01-2009 01:38 AM

Ill give you blueray but thats not really a software thing, more a hardware thing (so a mac issue as opposed to a good windows thing)

The last one is quite useless and insignificant but there is a much better hardware selection for pc's....

But lets not make this a mac V pc thread....

gster123 08-01-2009 01:47 AM

Yes lets not turn into a mac Vs PC but asking a question like you did with "(correct me if im wrong but..) Windows 7 doesnt look like it has anything that mac osx hasnt got...."

Yawnnn, lets wait till it comes out and see how many mac peeps bang on... which they will....

As you said lets not turn it into a Mac Vs PC debate.

I would beg to differ on the resizing windows, I use it all the time on differing setups as I use all the screen with multiple windows open at once, so messing about with one corner would be a pain (it is if I have to use quicktime)

Gen 08-01-2009 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by gster123
... ability to resize windows form every corner??......

Lol I thought I was the only one that got annoyed by that, some might consider that small potatoes, but its actually quit annoying when you multitask.

Chirone 08-01-2009 06:21 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by GecT
Lol I thought I was the only one that got annoyed by that, some might consider that small potatoes, but its actually quit annoying when you multitask.
i'm soooo glad i'm not the only one who gets pissed off at the lack of being able to resize the windows from any bar
seriously, it's a pain in the ass having to drag the mouse all the way down to the lower right corner just to resize the window a bit so you can fit everything into one screen because of the lack of window switching that mac has.
i hate using the little hot spots in the corner of the screen for application and window switching, it's SO disruptive of the workflow
i don't know how you mac users can manage having to take 6+ seconds just to switch between two windows as opposed to 3. may not sound like much to you guys but if you're doing some serious work you'll find having to move the mouse when both hands are working comfortably on the keyboard

The Architect 08-01-2009 08:05 AM

Is the "are you really really really sure you wanna do that" dialog still around? :p

Chirone 08-01-2009 11:01 AM

well you see, to prevent people from stopping the user account control from being turned off they will make it harder to turn off

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah6gJSNGa5A