Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   UVs: Screw up when I move model (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28334)

scali 30-11-2007 04:24 AM

UVs: Screw up when I move model

My question is simple. Why do UV maps get all screwed up when I move the model? I assume it's because the 6 projection planes (I use automatic mapping, too lazy for otherwise) don't move, but the model does. How can I remedy this situation?

Thanks.

arran 30-11-2007 04:30 AM

delete history!!! under the edit menu. :beer:

LauriePriest 30-11-2007 04:35 AM

Check that when you assign your texture that your not assigning as a projection.

When you click the checkerbox to assign a render node to an attribute there are three radio buttons (normal, projection and stencil), you want normal selected.

scali 30-11-2007 04:39 AM

I'm fairly new to maya, so forgive me for asking.

So I have my model, I select Create UVs->Automatic Mapping, then what? I don't see the projection/normal/etc options you are referring to.

Thanks.

I should also mention that I start off my using the 3d paint tool to get the groundwork down on my model.

So, completely ignoring texturing, UVs move when I move the model, which is highly annoying. If I move everything in face mode, it doesn't happen. Buh? Anybody care to shed light on this matter?

wokendreams 30-11-2007 04:04 PM

When you move the faces your not affecting where the projection goes. The center of the object is still where it was. The object just gets more empty space. When you move it as an object in that mode your change the locater and translates. This goes into the UV projection which was set for the initial location. This is all useless to you. What you want to know is how do I make a UV map and set up UVs and then apply textures. Im not a smart ass I wont post a tutorial here to make a point. There are great ones walking you through things like stools and pop cans. When your done those theres ones for characters. When your done those theres ones to streamline how you do it. Then theres ones for using 3rd party apps to further speed it up. By the time your done this you'll have opened your Christmas presents celebrated the new year started school in the next semester and learned why what the Hell Im saying. Welcome to Maya the high end package of choice for professionals the world round.

***EDIT***
someone should sticky the answer to the original question its asked more than how to render a movie.

arran 30-11-2007 09:51 PM

did you delete the history?

scali 01-12-2007 01:23 AM

I just installed it today. I deleted the history, but I don't think there was a history to delete. And the answer before yours was almost useless, for all the typing that was put into it. All I'm asking for is now to keep the UVs in place, totally ignoring the attached texture, because I'm following every tutorial to the T, and every one results in displaced UVs.

arran 01-12-2007 01:31 AM

if your uvs are moving, as far as i know, it's either cos you used a projection when you assigned your file to your shader or cos you haven't deleted history after applying your textures.

did you definitely delete the history properly - as in you selected the object and went to edit>delete by type history? Did you have history turned on when you attached your textures - doubt if that would affect it though.

attach a screenshot so people can have a better idea of the problems you are having and try not to criticise people who are trying to help... ;)

scali 01-12-2007 02:22 AM

Here's my exact process:

I have the polygon model ready. I go to Create UVs: Automatic Mapping Options. 6 planes, fewer pieces.

Layout is into square, uniform scale mode, bounding box shell stacking, 512 map, .2 percentage space. I hit "Apply", then close the box. I then open the UV Texture Editor. Select the object (not the faces), and rotate it. You can see my problem. The problem shows up even when using a cylinder.

arran 01-12-2007 03:21 AM

as i said, if you don't delete history after applying automatic mapping then your uvs are going to get messed up.

scali 01-12-2007 04:02 AM

Delete history after UVs? I thought you meant before. Let me try that.

arran 01-12-2007 04:41 AM

any luck?

scali 01-12-2007 04:56 AM

Yeah, turns out that does it. I didn't know you meant to delete the history after, I thought you meant before. Man, that makes things work a lot better. Thanks a ton.

arran 01-12-2007 05:31 AM

ha ha - you da man - glad you sorted it out. :)

wokendreams 01-12-2007 01:49 PM

...sorry,:beer: