Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Freedom of privacy issues with Microsoft's new OS. (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6575)

Darkware 28-06-2003 04:48 PM

Say bye-bye to your computer freedom

A good friend of mine sent me this article about Microsoft's new OS and the new Fritz chip. From what I can see, this is bad news. The sad thing, is that all those computer illiterate people out there will probably buy it anyway because everyone else is buying it, which means people against TCPA will be forced to buy it. Read the whole article as it gets really interesting near the end. I'm not a hacker or cracker, so running unlicensed software on my computer isn't a problem, but file sharing is an enormous thing for me. One of the main reasons I like computers so much is because of their flexibility. That all goes down the drain with this OS.

http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

Nem 28-06-2003 05:08 PM

are they serious???

so i just skimmed thru the whole article and dnt no if its just one big joke or not, but assuming that it isnt then why would people actually buy this new software/OS? wouldnt people just migrate to linux or whatever, causing microsoft to lose money?

the way i see it, people use computers as a way of expressing themselves, people on this forum, as 3d artists express themselves through 3d art, people go onto chats and forums to express themselves and their views on certain topics, i think its all just gone two steps too far; limiting peoples abilities to do things on computers, and like darkware said, theres no more flexbility with the introduction of this software and chip!

restricting peoples power to do something legal (like listening to a CD!!!) is not right in my opinion, but it is ourselves who have brought this upon us, maybe we're to blame for all of this :s i dunno, im confused :confused: and angry

gunna go borrow a load of cds off my friend so i know which albums are worth buying!

Darkware 28-06-2003 05:18 PM

Why would people actually buy this new OS? Because all the computer illiterate people who don't know a thing about computers will buy it - people like my mother who doesn't give a rip about the OS she's running. If enough of these people buy computers with TCPA inside them like Microsoft's future Palladium, it will turn into a monopoly and everyone will practically be forced to buy one.

Say you have Linux and write novels for a living. You have three friends who have TCPA compatible machines. There is no way for you to share your novels with your friends because TCPA will not accept your file. So, you have to buy your own TCPA compatible computer.

You have to remember who we're dealing with here - Microsoft.

slickrenderer 28-06-2003 05:57 PM

Ok if the issue is protecting software and music then I am all for it. Why should people have the right to swap music files which they did not pay for?
My work mate has tons of cash in the bank but never EVER buys any legal software. Why should I pay for the R&D while he benefits from using free software.

There are 2 sides to every coin. If this system stops you from sharing legal stuf then I am against it. I need more information.

Darkware 28-06-2003 06:20 PM

I'm all for protecting software and music. The problem lies elsewhere.

Read the second and third paragraph of question 16, the first paragraph of 17, question 19, and question 24.

16 - monopolies arrise, small businesses go bad, the free enterprize system is no more, etc. "As most employment growth occurs in the small to medium business sector, this could have consequences for jobs."

19 - "and whether people will be comfortable about the idea of having their PCs operated, in effect, under remote control -- control that could be usurped by courts or government agencies without their knowledge."

24 - Invasion of privacy and security.

Basically, no one should put all their eggs in one basket.

slickrenderer 28-06-2003 07:00 PM

Agreed on those points.

animatress 28-06-2003 08:58 PM

Welcome Microsoft's new OS and Kiss your computer freedoms goodbye

Welcome Microsoft's new OS and Kiss your computer freedoms goodbye. That means you only get to play your CD's a total of 3 times, access to certain information is severely restricted, you cannot share files with other non-TCPA compatibles computers, everything you do is monitored, and you can only run and install Microsoft approved software. http://www.againsttcpa.com/tcpa-faq-en.html

I want to know what people think about this. There are privacy laws and I am wondering how this is legal. Its a scary thought that they can control our computers without our sayso. I think if they are going to control my computer they need to pay for my computer as well. I dont pay all the money I do for everthing on my computer for them to take my privacy away from me. Sorry if I sound a bit upset.:)

Darkware 28-06-2003 09:05 PM

There is a thread about this in the Member's lounge.

drknow 28-06-2003 09:40 PM

Bad Tcpa, Bad, I dont like it. There are few aspects, if any, that i am for. Bad tcpa, bad.

Nem 28-06-2003 09:45 PM

anyone wanna write a new OS to compete with the devil? aka bill gates??

is that slander? sorry if it is Mr Gates: whos probably reading exactly what im typing at the moment

Blinn 28-06-2003 09:58 PM

It's completely insane! If all it did was protect software, I'd be fine with it, but it does a lot more than that. Another step by microsoft to control a monopoly is all I see. They'll be able to tell us what we can or can't use, look at, and listen to.

Grrrr it makes me so mad :mad:

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:27 PM

Gee, I wonder who that good friend who sent that to you was :rolleyes: :beer: Anyways, i'm switching to linux when this comes out and pledging my soul to linux. I'm already preparing my computer for the first Internet World War...which this new OS might start :p

Darkware 28-06-2003 10:47 PM

I knew it was you, but I couldn't think of your SM name. I always know you as RavagingOrc since that's your aim screen name.

Cyborg Corp 28-06-2003 10:53 PM

I have many secret identity's in the world known as the internet! And you'll never know all them! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :cool:

animatress 28-06-2003 10:53 PM

what exactly is lunix? and whats this about a internet war. would there be one?