Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Avatar Head (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33592)

Perfecto 13-01-2010 07:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I originally entered the monthly comp but since I won't have permission to post reference pictures for a few days, I decided to make this a W.I.P. I'm basically going to try and make an avatar based on my brother-n-law. I should be able to post reference pictures in a few days.

honestdom 13-01-2010 07:52 PM

shouldn't you start again? this was from Jay's OBJ after all...

...anyway, i like it so far, The nose seems maybe a bit flat and wide. do you have an unsmoothed wire frame, a smoothed wireframe doesn't really show anything.

I re-did the UVs on my version and get a weirdness around the ears, I think they need to be a higher poly count or laid out in another way as they are more of a feature so will need more texture area.

Perfecto 13-01-2010 08:59 PM

OMG...it seems like no matter what I do, I'm just not going please anyone..wow. I'm just trying to have a little fun. First I try to enter the comp but since I can't post reference pics for a few days, I'm not abiding by the rules..ok, that's fair, they are not my rules. So I decide to finish the project in the WIP forum and still apparently I'm breaking rules. So much for having fun.

Perfecto 13-01-2010 09:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the unsmothed wireframe. This will be my last post..sorry for making trouble.

honestdom 13-01-2010 09:21 PM

i think you are taking it a bit personal...

Who cares that you couldn't post reference pics for a few days? there is until March 15th to finish, a few days isn't going to matter.

and all i meant was, wouldn't you like to start over from scratch so its all your own work? I never mentioned anything about breaking rules.

Jay 13-01-2010 10:14 PM

LOL hey thats my OBJ LOL...I actually wondered how many people have pinched the mesh and not entered the comp....oh well as long as I get a mention for the mesh in their work, I generally recognise my meshes anyway.

Absolutely right my rules are fair....

Yeah you have til March 15th, theres no rush, you did this pretty quick anyway.

it looks good perfecto....

Jay

Dango77 13-01-2010 11:50 PM

Hey Perfecto,

I'm thinking you should carry this on, whether or not you enter the comp, you were doing a great job!

If you manage to get permission to use the ref photos you mentioned you could always carry on the thread you started, and if you can't use said photo's, well carry it on anyway!

I think it's pretty obvious that you aren't trying to hide the fact it wasn't your mesh, lol.

I for one would be interested to see what you do with it and how the end result would look, so either way, I hope you carry it on. You've clearly stated that it's Jay's mesh now anyway, and I can't see the harm in using it to do your own thing, as long as he doesn't mind. Modifying someone else's mesh is another part of 3d anyway, you'd have to do it at some point if you were a modeller for a company, so really it's just another part of the creative experience that is 3d!

If you decide you won't carry on posting your progress, I hope you have fun playing about with it anyway.