Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   shinjuku street scene (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24224)

arran 13-12-2006 08:53 PM

shinjuku street scene

1 Attachment(s)
Hello - This is a project that I have been working on for the last couple of weeks. I am basically trying to recreate, as best I can, a photograph of a street in shinjuku which I found on the web.

Still a ton to do - I need to do a lot more work on those taxis (1st time building a car!) and I am not sure how I am going to deal with the people - I guess make a low poly man and woman and then duplicate and deform...

Thought I would post my progress so far as I am sort of stalled at the moment, so some feedback would be good...
:beer:

arran 13-12-2006 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is the photo that I am working from...

arran 13-12-2006 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here is a view from another angle.

arran 13-12-2006 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
and here is one more. As you can see there is a lot of extra pieces and geometry that I will eventually get rid of, as the final scene will be viewed from a fixed camera angle.

erictacti 13-12-2006 10:26 PM

Looking awesome so far! Were you going to try and texture the ads and signs on the walls/windows in the pic into your scene, or were you going to make your own? Seems like it'll be a fun project.

younglion 14-12-2006 01:09 AM

nice work man its looking really good.

tweetytunes 14-12-2006 01:45 AM

apart from the taxis as you said, everything else looks really cool.

keep it up - good choise of photo

edit : the scooter needs some work aswell

Minstrel 14-12-2006 01:50 AM

Arran, very ambitous project. How much detail do you want to have on each object.

gster123 14-12-2006 02:32 AM

Looks damm good dude!

You could do the easy option and camera map it!

Looks great so far man, looking forward to some updates

arran 14-12-2006 06:33 AM

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the great responses. As always it's much appreciated and really helpful. Cheers! :beer: :beer:

erictacti: I was thinking about doing my own signs, but then I figured I can't speak or read Japanese, so I'll probably do something stupid. I am going to try and keep it fairly close to the original image, without worrying too much if I have to change the odd detail here or there. The blue and white 3D signs were made by cutting out the signs from the original image, messing with the perspective in PS until they looked flat, projecting them onto a plane in maya and then literally cutting them out with the split poly tool. I wanted to try and use the create text tool, but I couldn't figure out how to write japanese in maya or PS.

younglion: Thanks mate. might have to have another look over your car thread to work out how to make my taxis.:beer:

tweetytunes: ha ha - yeah, I think pretty much everything in my scene needs a bit more work. Have you seen that seat on my scooter?! And I still need to make some handle bars!

Minstrel: cheers mate! I probably won't do too much detail - only on the objects and buildings in the foreground. I am trying to keep everything to the bare minimum if possible.

Gster: Thanks for the good words. Camera map? I haven't heard of that before. Care to explain?

Thanks again everyone!

14-12-2006 08:11 AM

thats lookin pretty cool man the taxis as you say need work but the rest is great

keep it up:bow:

Radical Edward 14-12-2006 10:46 AM

ii desu.

arran 14-12-2006 04:48 PM

just ok, eh? oh well, better than saying it's crap! ;)

Radical Edward 14-12-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by arran
just ok, eh? oh well, better than saying it's crap! ;)
subarashii ;) (gosh some people want praise don't they?)

arran 14-12-2006 09:14 PM

oops.. yeah, sorry about about that! my girlfriend is learning japanese and informed me that I may have mistranslated your first post!:blush:

arigatoo gozaimasu ! :beer: