Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New Maya GUI? When? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7101)

vertiis 25-07-2003 10:51 AM

New Maya GUI? When?

IMHO the GUI of Maya looks a little bit old now. Dont you think it should be redesigned? Or is it only me?

Regards,
Vertiis (Maya newbie ;) )

adldesigner 25-07-2003 11:07 AM

:saywhat:

vertiis 25-07-2003 12:16 PM

:confused:

BabyDuck 25-07-2003 12:33 PM

no need to worry about the gui. the big advantage of maya is that the gui is just mel. if you dont like it, feel free to reprogram or adjust the gui in any way imaginable.

infact, i believe, the bigger studios dont rely on the default gui of maya - they will make it suit to THEIR particular need - and the gui will most likely be differant if you have an modeler, animator, or someone else working on maya.

mtmckinley 25-07-2003 12:41 PM

Out of all the programs I've tried so far, the Maya GUI has been the most user-friendly.

If it ain't broke, why fix it? ;)

dragonfx 25-07-2003 12:47 PM

think he refers to make skins to maya, just hype its looks not its functionality

BabyDuck 25-07-2003 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
think he refers to make skins to maya, just hype its looks not its functionality
LOL, that was good laugh - since when is maya a toy ??

dragonfx 26-07-2003 09:47 AM

do you prefer to work in a basement or in a hypercool designed office?
(it wont harm if they do put a little eyecandy on the gui)

+ presets buttons, lots of them, wich i find is what maya lacks more...

Blinn 26-07-2003 06:44 PM

Well, I think it would be like all the eye candy crap that is in winXp, which i disabled soon as i got it and i think alot of other people did too. Just bogs everything down. just my 2 cents.

Ultragames 26-07-2003 06:51 PM

Maya is not a barbie doll, or a WinAp3 proggy. lol. A kick ass matrix skin would be cool, but it would be distracting.

howardporter 27-07-2003 08:50 PM

I pretty much like it as is... I would like an option to change the icons into text only..like light wave... so many different icons to learn:(

cinema 4d and Max have a few different looks you can choose from. different icons and colors and sizes... etc.. does Maya?

vertiis 28-07-2003 08:12 AM

i agree with howardporter. changing icons into text would be really cool. it's much easier to look at a button called "extrude" than on an icon and think "hmmm what was that for... "

and im not saying this because im Lightwaver and i hate icons. for years now ive been using cinema4d.

i would just like to see some nicer icons at least... or if it's possible a text buttons...

only my 2cents...

and btw... im on os x... and ive changed aqua to look like the NexT gui. and turned off all the eye candy sh*t.

regards and sorry for my english,
v.

dragonfx 28-07-2003 09:09 AM

1 you can have something writted over the icons if you want: go to shelf editor push the buttonname yo want to edit and write whetever you please...

2 the buttons are just a mel that calls a menu function, if you want a list of functions forget the shelfs buttons and the hotbar, just have the menus you want floating...
ie youll be polymodeling: just push the edit poligon menu and then push the two bars on top of the menu an it will stay floating over everything else

Also i have a custom modded cherry coghdrop made to look right(and believeme, its hard to make a skin thats fully red and doesnt looks pink when unactive and still isnt too dark when active...), if you want a crappy interface then maybe you should have bought win2000. Personally I dont notice performance going down because of the skins... (programs messing with the registry DO real harm to performance)

BabyDuck 28-07-2003 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by dragonfx
if you want a crappy interface then maybe you should have bought win2000. Personally I dont notice performance going down because of the skins
thank you for insulting, uhm, i would say most of us who do not consider maya a barbie doll (thanks ultragames, great comparison). even microsoft acknowledges that the nice looking features in winxp are crap if speed is what you want to do. it is not surprising, that if you turn winxp to optimize for speed, it does look like win2k. and you probably dont notice a slow down, as you care more if your red is red.

Alan 28-07-2003 12:17 PM

but that's cause xp is just 2000 with a toy interface.... NT 5..... which is just NT 4 with all the service packs.... which is NT 3 with all the service packs.... you can see where I'm going here....

I have to turn off all of the stuff on XP cause it kills my machine at home.

Alan

edit:

Although the MEL interface does need a major overhual. It needs text colouring, proper indenting, better debug info etc etc. Try doing anything major with MEL and it just takes hours to fix small probs.:headbang: