Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dynamics & Special Effects (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   squashing an orange (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3735)

mumbojumbo_13 04-02-2003 11:52 AM

squashing an orange

does anyone know how to do this ?
i guessed you would use the shatter function but i couldn't figure it out :(
any help ?
cya
Jason

ragecgi 04-02-2003 04:24 PM

You might want to think about either blendshapes, and/or set driven keys.

So for blends, you could model an orange, then model a copy of it squashed, then key the blend to squash as the "squasher" squashes it....

For SDK's, pretty much the same, but the squash blend would be driven by the translate Y of the "squasher object".

Lemme know if this helps any:)

mtmckinley 04-02-2003 06:11 PM

There's also a Deformer called the Squash/Stretch. :)

[Animation] Deform > Create Nonlinear > Sqaush&Stretch

Nem 04-02-2003 06:27 PM

softbody dynamics :) im into the whole "let maya do all the work for you" thing :)

ragecgi 04-02-2003 07:59 PM

Good one Mike! Duh! I forgot about that.....

ragecgi 08-02-2003 05:27 PM

Good point Nem!

FROM an IM:

Quote:

mumbojumbo_13 wrote on 08-02-2003 06:02 AM:
hey man
i want the orange to splatter on impact with the ground i was figuring that i could do it the same way i blew up the space ship ?
you got any other ideas?
cya
Well, I guess you could do it that way, but instead of making each piece a rigid body, you could make them goals for a softbody-copy? maybe? might take too long....

I don't have much softbody experience, but in theory, it should do what you want:)

TEST:
I just threw my girlfriends luch (orange) off our balcony hehe.., and when it landed, it didn't really rip apart like I thought it would...

It just split down one side, and the "guts" were the parts that were ejected out everywhere...

For those, you could use blobby particles with a few "hero" splatters emitted out from the mid-center of the orange object maybe?

Good luck, sorry I'm not much help...

mumbojumbo_13 09-02-2003 03:35 AM

nah that helps i didnt have any balconys to test with say thanks to ya girlfriend for me :D

ragecgi 09-02-2003 06:27 AM

No problem:)

She made me eat it aftarwards tho.... hehe...

mumbojumbo_13 11-02-2003 05:55 AM

alrite now how do i get the "hero" bits or orange juice to splash when they hit the ground ?

ragecgi 11-02-2003 03:20 PM

If you are using soft or rigid-body blobs for your hero guts that get ejected, at the moment of "impact" I would try messing with these settings:

Select your "Solver" in the channelbox, and try keying these channels for whatever xyz direction you want your "blobs" to go:
-Initial velocity
-Impulse
-Initial Spin
-Spin Impulse

Good luck!

PS- a tip to make your dynamics solve MUCH faster:
In the solver, under "Stand-In" set this to cube.

This will basicly treat your scene as if it were all simple cube shapes making calculation-time SUPER FAST!

...although, if you are working with collisions, it's not very acurate, but in this case, I would use it! :)