Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Pixar dumps Disney (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10112)

kbrown 30-01-2004 03:32 PM

Pixar dumps Disney

http://money.cnn.com/2004/01/29/news...sney/index.htm

rich 30-01-2004 04:06 PM

I was fascinated when I saw it on television this morning. My understanding is that Disney had little artistic impact on the Pixar films.

I think that Pixar are in a great position and this is a good move for them. Disney's industry reputation seems to be in terrible shape and Pixar could do alot worse than to put some distance between them.

It seems that, by looking for a sweet distribution deal, Pixar could well be positioning themselves to dethrone Disney as the king of the animated feature kingdom.

doodle 30-01-2004 07:30 PM

As far as i know, all Disney were incharge of was the voice-over dept and distribution, for which they took half of the money made. Thats why Pixar dumped them.

Isn't anyone worried that Disney are working on Toy Story 3.

rich 30-01-2004 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
Isn't anyone worried that Disney are working on Toy Story 3.
Knowing Disney, I suspect that it'll go direct to DVD/VHS ;)

roach105 30-01-2004 09:22 PM

Disney does have a tendency of releasing movies directly to DVD. e.g. Lion king 1/2 or something like that, Lion King 2 and so on. Just terrible. Also the quality of the movies is scaled down big time.

mtmckinley 30-01-2004 09:59 PM

I read that Toy Story 2 was intended for Direct to Video, but the quality was so good, the released it in theatres instead.

rich 31-01-2004 12:57 AM

I heard the same about the first Toy Story.

twisteddragon33 31-01-2004 03:22 AM

Actually disneys attitude toward this is they only release the originials in theater then the sequals to video, however toy story 2 was, in their opinion good enough to be an original in itself so they released it in theater too. As far as i know its the only diskey sequal to be in theater. Thats why most sequals are of lesser quality. Because they make them to go direct to dvd, not to theater. So they dont get the theater cash they would normally get.

doodle 31-01-2004 06:43 PM

Disney hold all the right to the film that Pixar are producting under them. So Pixar have no rights as to waht Disney are gonna do.

Waki 29-02-2004 05:43 AM

z1mmnd14 said:
Quote:

As far as i know, all Disney were incharge of was the voice-over dept and distribution, for which they took half of the money made. Thats why Pixar dumped them.
Actually, Pixar was responsible for content, while Disney handled distribution and marketing. In exchange, Pixar has split profits with Disney and pays the studio a distribution fee of between 10 percent to 15 percent of revenue.

Kevin 29-02-2004 10:02 AM

I dont blame pixar for splitting, they are far superior in there work and disney was just the money clout behind it for marketing etc

rich 29-02-2004 02:11 PM

This all reminds me of how Disney started up... they were the 2D animation geniuses who had a deal with Columbia (I think). One day, they decided not to renew their deal with Columbia and go it alone.... now it's Pixars turn! I just hope Pixar dont go the way of Theme Parks and Direct to Video.

doodle 29-02-2004 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Waki
Actually, Pixar was responsible for content, while Disney handled distribution and marketing. In exchange, Pixar has split profits with Disney and pays the studio a distribution fee of between 10 percent to 15 percent of revenue.
Yeah, Pixar made the film but all the voice overs were handled by Disney.

mtmckinley 29-02-2004 09:01 PM

I'm sure they wont' have any trouble getting talented voice actors for their future endeavors.

deepakrock627 02-03-2004 06:41 AM

disney pixar is proably one of the most distungished cartoon and film maker in the early 1990's .just now it has drastically came down a little bit.