Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Simply ZBrush (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36498)

daverave 21-06-2012 08:32 AM

I like this one looks like a good bit of fun....................dave

bullet1968 21-06-2012 01:15 PM

cool stuff man...you had me at Predator LOL

cheers bullet

CollinBishop 21-06-2012 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Yea I hope to have it done in the next day. I have just recently been getting my head around the workflows much better.

CollinBishop 22-06-2012 11:01 PM

Progress 6.22.2012

4 Attachment(s)
A little thing on the side to keep with the hard surface. I got inspired when creating the Harley headlight. Made me think of Polar Express. This is more like an agricultural engine. Don't think it will be pulling pass cars in the final render. I can't pop out stuff as intricate as Labyk but each day certainly helps...

So after not liking the original shot I looked at some ref and decided to dutch it in the mountains. There are particles set up to emit smoke from the stack as well but the render will be overnight for that. The backplate is just a still I rendered out of Vue. Will have to sort something out in C4D with the Displace shader and terrain masks. That will be fun to render as well. But at least keeping the scene contained past the skymap will produce my GI properly. Still trying to sell the cold feeling. Now some snow on top of the engine?

The last one is of a render with a HDRI Sphere surrounding the scene. The BGPlate is set to not recieive or cast shadows but still generates GI.

honestdom 23-06-2012 11:44 AM

Hey you really ought to try to finish something. You'd probably get a better feeling of satisfaction from your 3D work.

i'm not sure what you want from this WIP thread. If you are looking for crits or pointers then there is a whole load of things i would say. Its difficult when people do these long long WIP threads. There is no real sense of purpose, because there is no final output to work towards.

CollinBishop 23-06-2012 03:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I mainly do it to track my progress and keep a log of things I did. Hoping to get better and not really concerning myself with showing off my finished work. Now that I have been teaching myself 3D I find I have come a long way from learning how to model a spoon. I was so proud of myself the first time I modeled a spoon. That joy of creating something. For the most part I finish the Photoshop work (paid jobs) and leave the 3d to being the hobby but it does allow me to practice lighting and shooting in 3D space which has sped up my DP work exponentially. But critiques always help.

Dom you know what you are doing. But I don't have people to tell me the right way like you do at MPC. So I have to bobble my way through projects to feel my way around. Which totally sucks, but until the day when I actually can do 3D for a living I will have to continue to do these projects. Many other titles and graphics I have done for things out here but I don't post that since no one wants to see MoGraph. The entire internet is saturated with C4D Mograph stuff. I also can't exactly post my other work that I did for years since promoting SAS and SOC killing techniques isn't exactly all that legal to put up or promote. So I am retooling what I did for years so that I have a more wholesome reel.

The train was made to use Projection Man, tackle some particle emission and then just UV a hard-surface object with material attributes and layer manager practice. The goals are more to learn the shaders and the attributes of C4D since it is very hard to find info on them. Typically the shaders are procedural-based which is not the type of render I want in C4D. I also only use AR3 or the Physical Render. I tried out VRay a while back and just found the material system and settings to be bloated.

Jay 23-06-2012 03:57 PM

Hey Chav

I totally agree with Dom, finish something before moving on. Regardless of who is telling you this way or that, its just good discipline to train yourself to finish the work, it will be far more satisfying, not promoting myself here but my 'Audrey' thread went on for ages, but it got finished before I moved on, now I have my P51 thread thats on the go. granted I may look at workflows in zbrush and put the odd image up but its quick stuff not a project, so it just discarded right away. I figure you must have a head full of 'traffic' to keep throwing this stuff out. But seriously focus it on one thing at a time - I think you'll improve too alot quicker...

Jay

CollinBishop 24-06-2012 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the progress on my bust. Was waiting until another photographer came over to get my pics. Shot on 5D and the bust clocks in around 7 mil on sculpt detail. Onward and upward.

Jay 24-06-2012 04:42 PM

hehehe bust, train, octopus??!!! where am i LOL

good start, I think dampen down that bump map.

Jay

honestdom 24-06-2012 04:53 PM

i would try to get rid of the shine on the textures too. you want the maps as diffuse as possible.

CollinBishop 24-06-2012 05:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a texture for you guys. These are my eyes after a few drinks but nevertheless go and find eye textures shot on a 200mm 5d at a f10. Even the flash with a soft bounce is the spec. You can make out the sock on the white part.

daverave 24-06-2012 05:57 PM

Nice viens on the whites of the eye not sure if you can focus better on the iris.............dave

I will not upload any of my eye textures to red

daverave 24-06-2012 08:41 PM

I think you know what you are doing but theres a link to clean up your projections in photoshop............dave

http://um3d.dc.umich.edu/lounge/showthread.php?tid=24

CollinBishop 25-06-2012 09:29 PM

Progress 6.25.2012

1 Attachment(s)
I crunched the reflection to produce the ice and frosting on the side of the engine. It will shine when the camera moves. Been adding more details and threw a generic polymountain in the back. Then dusted a test of pebbles on the track under the train to break up the cleanliness.

daverave 25-06-2012 10:22 PM

Why would there be snow on a hot steam engine?.............dave