Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Interactive product visualization for the web (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8738)

Renderizer 03-11-2003 01:13 AM

Interactive product visualization for the web

Hi all!

I need some hard and quick answers:

Someone I know asked me if it would be possible to present interactive 3d product visualizations on his website withou too much hassle (and I'm not talking Flash here).

He kinda fell in love with the stuff Fujitsu-Siemens did some time ago, but these presentations were done using Viewpoint technology, which is definitely too expensive.

I don't have any details yet, but would just like to know for a start what options there are (peferably those which don't require huge browser plugins...).

I think it will be sufficent to rotate the object around the y-axis according to mouse movement (yet I'm not sure about this at the moment).

Any pearls of wisdom here?

Thanks,

Renderizer

kbrown 03-11-2003 01:58 AM

imho "without too much hassle" -> not possible...

Renderizer 03-11-2003 02:27 AM

lol...

That was quick...and hard!

I already thought that much.

Maybe I should have accented that 'too'...more like ' TOO much hassle'...

:D

adldesigner 03-11-2003 02:35 AM

Quicktime VR.
Research it mate. :)

Darkware 03-11-2003 02:35 AM

Yes, an interactive view would take a lot of work. I believe it would be in your best interest to do something like a quick rotation of the object through a gif image or maybe a quick 5 second mpeg or mov movie of your object for download with the camer amoving completely around it in the animation.

I'm sure there are some other things you could do as well.

Renderizer 03-11-2003 02:40 AM

Yeah, I have thought of the QT VR stuff before...just like ADL said: have to do some research on it!

It's a pitty that this Viewpoint stuff is so expensive... :(

Thanx for now,

Renderizer ;)

ragecgi 03-11-2003 06:23 AM

Doesn't Maya export to shockwave or something like that that could be plugged into an app for user input?

not sure....

kbrown 03-11-2003 02:05 PM

I believe that most ppl think that if you need to download any plugins to view a web page -> it's too much of a hassle. That's how I think anyway...

Here's couple of possibilities you could investigate though:
- VRML (maya can export vrml2 files after you load the plugin in the plugin manager)
- Cult3D (www.cult3d.com)

neway, good luck. post some results if you get it working...

Renderizer 03-11-2003 04:09 PM

Kbrown - thanks a lot.

If this is going to take shape, or better still, if it's going to yield any results, I'll be sure to post something here.

But for today I have stopped any further research, as my cat just got killed by some stinking, rotten dog...

Later,

Renderizer

David 03-11-2003 05:35 PM

VRML is quite possibly the best bet, however anything that forces the user to download a plug-in is IMHO a bad idea.

Renderizer 04-11-2003 11:45 AM

Change of plan.

Given the pretty tight deadline, we've deceided no to do an animation, but to render out a number of still images from different perspectives and simply put up a gallery.

The whole thing must be online by monday, just in time for the start of some trade show (until last night I didn't now that the schedule was THAT tight...).

Luckily, I don't need to go into any great details.

Source material is more of a problem - just a few AutoCad files, and a few photos of a rather rudimentary prototype.

BTW: the object in question is some kind of portable, or rather driveable, party tent.
At the center is a trailer with bar and apsis.
A large tent can be unfolded to both sides of the trailer in no time.

I basically just need to block out the shapes from the AutoCAD files and add some major details and textures/shaders, so the viewer will get an idea of the whole thing.

As I said: there exists only a very rudimentary prototype - largely made of wood and plastic... :rolleyes:

Another question that's bugging me: how much can I charge for this kind of job...?

When I first told them of the costs involved in purchasing/licensing the Viewpoint Technology stuff, they didn't even flinch.

Ok. Once again: quick and hard answers, please!

Thanks,

Renderizer

Renderizer 04-11-2003 06:05 PM

No one?

I'm hard pressed for answers...

Please!