Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Specularity map - eccentricity or roll off? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28821)

gubar 28-01-2008 05:50 AM

Specularity map - eccentricity or roll off?

Hi,

when you create a specularity map, is it more properly mapped to the material's eccentricity or roll off node?

cheers,

gubar

jsprogg 28-01-2008 07:15 AM

You should map the specularity to the roll off, but also to get a good spec you should invert the spec map and apply it to the diffuse also, since diffuse effects how much a material relects light.

arran 28-01-2008 12:41 PM

i always map the spec map to the spec color - is that wrong then?

gubar 28-01-2008 01:05 PM

Hi,

after trying all 3 today, I've actually found that I prefer it applied to the eccentricity. It gives me a look that is closest to my photo reference.

gubar

jsprogg 28-01-2008 01:23 PM

Quote:

i always map the spec map to the spec color - is that wrong then?
No it's not wrong that is actually what I ment, and some ppl map to eccentricity but that is something different but reading up on the subject from many sources and the most common recomendations say to create realism you need to map the spec colour and diffuse.

gubar 28-01-2008 01:27 PM

Hi jsprogg,

rereading my last post, sorry I never thanked you for your contribution.

I've got the diffuse map too, and I have since read that many people map the roll off (and not the eccentricity). In the case of my objects, I just find mapping the eccentricity looks better - guess you just go with what is working the best.

cheers,

gubar

arran 28-01-2008 01:30 PM

yeah - i've been having a play and mapping to diffuse and roll off works well - though on a couple of objects eccentricity worked good. do you use the same map?

jsprogg 28-01-2008 01:35 PM

The diffuse map is usually less value and from what I have read it recomends inverting the spec map.

jsprogg 28-01-2008 01:40 PM

specularity is a really a fake since it's not actually relecting light and is used to simulate reflectiveness ,where as reflectivity is the real deal and is actually relecting light .
The main difference between them in a 3d package rendertime, since specularity or specular colour is not actually relecting but just changing the colour of the surface to simlate relecting light there is no calculation to be done so therefore a lot quicker to render.

arran 28-01-2008 01:51 PM

cheers jsprogg - yeah - i've read similar but guess i haven't really done enough experimenting.:)

arran 28-01-2008 02:10 PM

do you invert the spec map on the diffuse or roll off?

jsprogg 28-01-2008 02:27 PM

invert the spec map that you would use on the specular colour and apply the inverted map to the diffuse.

arran 28-01-2008 02:33 PM

got you - thanks mate ;)

gubar 28-01-2008 03:20 PM

Hi,

arran, I've used the same map but tweaked the one for diffuse to make it brighter.

Jsprogg are you sure it should be a lower value? I find that gives me a dark surface with bright highlights... which would be good for some surface I guess. Would depend on the material I suppose.

Also, are you sure you should invert it? What you would get in that case would be dark areas with bright highlights, and bright areas with less highlights.

cheers,

gubar

jsprogg 28-01-2008 04:28 PM

It should be lighter , so when I say lower value I am talking in the greyscale sense in which more value is darker.
I am not certain it should be inverted but when I was reading up on it thats what it said, i guess if inverting it makes it lighter then yes.
the way it works as a general rule is the lower the diffuse setting the more reflective someting is noe in Maya I don't remember if that translates to lighter or darker in the diffuse channel.