Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Modeling (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   SubD´s & PolyMode Display Query (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5292)

adldesigner 19-04-2003 10:41 AM

SubD

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, guys

I´ve been running into a little problem with these SubDs. I converted the poly mesh into a subdivision surface, then sliced my viewports in two, and started working SubD in one, and the Polymode in the other one. The problem I seem to have is the fact that this poly mesh (Proxy?) does not have shading at all, thus making picking individual vertexes or faces a daunting task.

Is there a workflow I´ve got to follow? Maybe a way of shading this polymesh?

Nem 19-04-2003 11:44 AM

hey, i just have a view question about that, how did you get that cool blue colour for the UI?? :D
and how did you split up the proxy and the mesh into two different viewports?

the proxy is meant to be wireframe because the way ur meant to use it is with the mesh inside it, not seperated, but i can see your problem. if i knew how you seperated the proxy and the mesh maybe i can help then

adldesigner 19-04-2003 12:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello, Nem

Color is actually given artificially to the images. I work on a standard gray background in Maya. Proven, so no point in trying to invent another one. ;)

As per your question do the following:
  • Convert object to SUBD´s
  • Pick a 2Pane Layout (Outliner/Pers works for me)
  • Panel > Perspective > Pers (You´ve got two perspective windows now)
  • Move the frontier at your liking
  • In one of the viewports, select Polygon mode for the SubD.
  • In that same viewport, Show > Subdivision Surfaces (to uncheck it)
  • In the other viewport, Show > Polygons (to uncheck it)

... And you´re done. Now you can change the polygon proxy, and watch it update far faster in the other window.

Hope it helps,

Darkware 19-04-2003 12:27 PM

The color of windows, backgrounds, title bars, etc can be changed in Windows itself. Maya cannot change this. Right-click on your desktop and choose Properties. Go to the Appearance tab and look for a dropdown list called item. For every selection you choose in this dropdown list, you can change the color by clicking the color button off to the right. Don't forget to apply your new settings. If you mess up and want the old setting back, just choose the Windows Classic preset from the Scheme dropdown list.

As for how Adl is able to model in proxy mode in one viewport and standard in another I do not know. On mine, Maya has to update both viewports upon modifying on object in one or even moving the camera. And I do not think you can smooth shade the proxy box. It remains in wireframe because the folks at Alias|Wavefront thought you would always want to see your mesh being modified when you extrude/modify a face.

Darkware 19-04-2003 12:30 PM

Well, there you go. Posted at the same time Adl. lol You can change your UI colors in Windows though and obviously the background color in Maya can be changed in Windows>Prefs>Colors...

adldesigner 19-04-2003 12:32 PM

Heh heh, so it seems Darkware.
Thanks for the info on the proxy mesh, bummer, perhaps in a newer version.

Nem 19-04-2003 12:37 PM

ok, i just thought you could do it with CPS but you cant, sorry, good idea tho :D

adldesigner 19-04-2003 12:39 PM

I believe the real credit belongs to either Kevin or one of the vids guys, I remembered that tip from one of the videos.
Don´t know which one though.

mtmckinley 19-04-2003 04:28 PM

you can select the wire frame and assign a shader to it. :)

Nem 19-04-2003 06:43 PM

can you do that if the wireframe doesnt have a surface?

Darkware 19-04-2003 07:09 PM

I don't know if the wireframe has a "surface" but I tried it and it does work. If you want it back to regular see-through I suppose you can simply make it transparent, too. Mike to the rescue again!