Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   SimplyMax.com (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20124)

Noak 04-02-2006 09:02 PM

SimplyMax.com

Hey, since Maya is too expensive I want to get Max instead (I wanted maya because I had already joined this site and looked at all the tutorials) and I want to join SimplyMax.com, but I dont want to go through the hassle of signing up again. You guys don't have any way to transfer accounts from one site to another?

Tim_LIVID 04-02-2006 09:21 PM

Why don't you use the Maya Personal Lerning Edition untill you have the money for the full version?

Noak 04-02-2006 09:48 PM

I tried to download Maya Personal Learning edition, but when I click it an error happens and it quits :headbang:
Also, I just registered for SimplyMax.com and I haven't gotten the confirmation email yet.

Tim_LIVID 05-02-2006 10:32 AM

Then try contacting Alias. Don't give up on it just cos it doesn't install

idomain 09-02-2006 08:13 AM

Hi there, I think that Tim_LIVID has made the good point here, just don't give up on Maya as just yet, it is indeed the most powerful 3D tool I've ever used before, and totally recommended to learn.

I think the problems about downloading the PLE version of Maya has also occured HERE as well...

However, good luck with you! :)

kennez 09-02-2006 09:42 AM

Re: SimplyMax.com

Quote:

Originally posted by Noak
Hey, since Maya is too expensive I want to get Max instead (I wanted maya because I had already joined this site and looked at all the tutorials) and I want to join SimplyMax.com, but I dont want to go through the hassle of signing up again. You guys don't have any way to transfer accounts from one site to another?
Isn't Maya Complete cheaper than Max?

edoplaza 16-02-2006 01:33 AM

Hi everybody,

I have a question related to this thread. When I go to cgtalk.com and I look at the 3d stills, 95% of them were made in 3ds max. Then when I look at the general forum, Maya appears to be more popular that max. (You’ll see: Maya 71 viewing, Max 66 viewing, for example, and almost always in that proportion). WHY? If Maya is the most powerful 3d application, why everybody uses max? Is it easier? Is it faster?

Kurt 16-02-2006 02:51 AM

max is still used more in the game industry as maya and xsi are still used more for film.

edoplaza 16-02-2006 11:15 AM

Thanks Kurt. Yes, that's a fact, but not a reason. ;) I once played a little bit with Max, and I hated the interface, even those coordinates with Y not pointing up... I don't know, maybe I'm too used to Maya. But there must be some reasons, maybe the modeling tools are easier to use, and, of course all those architectural materials that come with the package, but, come on! That’s nothing compared to Maya's node architecture, or the hypershade, or the nurbs tools.

MattTheMan 20-02-2006 12:16 AM

What? Max's interface KILLS Mayas, Maya's takes up WAY too much space and Max optimizes the camera and viewing screen well.

As for Y+ being up: thats mathmatically WRONG. Z+ being up is right.

Kurt 20-02-2006 01:40 AM

hhe i hate max interface..... for me anyway maya interface is a lot more effective for me and is not nearly as much button pushing as max...

edoplaza 20-02-2006 01:43 AM

Well, Y or Z being up is a minor issue; I'm just used to Maya's way. I admit also that Max interface is very handy and powerful. But, again, I always thought Maya was more popular than any other 3D package. Now, I’m not sure about that. At least for stills.

gster123 20-02-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MattTheMan
What? Max's interface KILLS Mayas, Maya's takes up WAY too much space and Max optimizes the camera and viewing screen well.

As for Y+ being up: thats mathmatically WRONG. Z+ being up is right.

Think you can swap maya's if you really want, its an option for the buliding visulisers I think

Tim_LIVID 20-02-2006 12:09 PM

Not that you should want to mess around with such a sweet interface. :D

13th_resident 22-02-2006 10:51 AM

both my bros do max. once they convinced me to do 3ds max for 1 week, and promised me that once i start i wont be able to stop. in that week i learned quite a bit (i have never done max b4), the one feature that i loved was pelt mapping. it ROCKS. i tell you max is easier to learn.
but i immediately stopped after the week was over, not that i didnt like max. but i feel more comfortable around maya. max probably has a better interface (i have never really explored max). but mayas one seems to fit my type and does seem for effective for me.

alot of ppl in these forums may disagree with me. but this is only my opinion!