Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Isoparm problem? (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30773)

Goatfish 26-08-2008 10:53 AM

Isoparm problem?

1 Attachment(s)
Just started working with Maya for the first time today. Learned most of the general ui and what not. Started working on the Basic Human form tutorial, and am hitting a problem. I've created the second isoparm around the mouth and inserted it, but when I go into "hull" i can select that series of verts, BUT it wont let me scale/move/rotate them. The xyz axis controller comes up but it just wont move. I've uploaded a picture to show what im talking about.

Also, stupid question, but its bugging me. Ounce I enter a different "attribute" box on the right....how can i quickly return to the regular xyz rotate scale attribute box, without having to go up to the window menu and re selecting it?

Thanks for the help

Ajmooch 26-08-2008 11:23 AM

I've had that happen before, where it doesn't appear to work (so I spam it of course) and then see that it hasn't moved, save it, and then reopen, only to find that it HAS moved crap but the window wasn't updating for some reason and the model is irreversibly screwed.

Course, I've only done that ONCE (learned my lesson) and that may not be the case, but try it, since the model doesn't look too far along there, and see what happens.

Goatfish 26-08-2008 11:43 AM

wow, that exactly what happened. I closed and reopened maya, and the mouth was completely off the grid :-P.

Thanks

Also any answer to my other question about the attributes box

One other thing that is bothering me. If im not in perspective view, the xyz lines show up, but i cant click them because the little triangles at the end arent there? but if i view it with all 4 views on screen, there only there on perspective, causing me to scale/rotate/move solely in perspective view while watching the frontal view?

Any ideas why?

Chirone 26-08-2008 07:03 PM

if i understand your second question in your first post correctly then you want to be using HOTKEYS or keyboard short cuts.

q = select
w = move
e = rotate
r = scale
t = manipulator
g = repeat last tool
ctrl+z = undo
ctrl + Z = redo (that's capital Z so hold down shift)
1 = smothness1
2 = smoothness2
3 = smoothness3
4 = wireframe view
5 = shaded view
6 = hardware rendering view (used to see textures)
7 = lighting view (see your stuff with the lights you've put on)
8 = something... i dont remember, maybe the paintFX view
Spacebar = switch between your last two viewports

also useful are the menus you can access anywhere by holding down space bar, or holding down right mouse button, or holding down right mouse button while holding ctrl, or shift, or alt

as for your other issue i've never heard of such things. maybe its your graphics card?

NeoStrider 26-08-2008 09:19 PM

press the minus (-) key a few times, that scales down the manipulator handles and might be your problem.

Goatfish 27-08-2008 04:08 AM

No its not upscaling the xyz thats the problem, i know how to do that, and it works fine. But if im not in perspective view only the colored lines show up, not the triangles at the tips, making it harder to click and drag, AND in frontal view, it doesnt show up at all.

Chirone 27-08-2008 09:13 AM

can you post a screen shot?

Goatfish 27-08-2008 10:01 AM

Yea sure, soon as I open Maya up, bout an hour.

Also new problem that I've run into(dont know if itll fix itself once I reopen Maya)

I hit something and now instead of having 4 views(front, side, top, perspective) i have front, top, SIDE, SIDE, ive went into VIEW>Predefined Bookmarks I change it to perspective, but it changes both of the SIDE views to perspective, its like the one is somehow parented to the other? and even when i change it to perspective, it still says SIDE?

Probably something completely stupid.

One other question

(sorry about all the noob questions) when Im working with polygons and use extrude tool, in the HUMAN FORM tut, it says to center the xyz thing click a little circle next to the xyz access, i dont have that, maybe because i have maya 8.5, i have 2 tiny squares instead...which dont appear to do anything, how do i achieve getting the xyz centered?

Thanks a lot and sorry for all the noob questions

ben hobden 27-08-2008 09:45 PM

makes you feel like a right pain dont it goatfish, bein a 'noob'. To let you know I've been having the same problems with manipulator handles not going anywhere. I was working through the basic human form tut too, and it got to the point where every time I created a new isoparm, i had to save my work, exit, and reopen. Then one lesson which i've known I had to do for a while and got round to getting to grips with yesterday, was cleaning up geometry for smooth edge flow and booleans. It wasnt pretty but my basic geometry wasnt great to begin with, but i was kind of pleased with what id done. Saved it, and when I reopened later on, it had all disappeared, an hours worth of merging verts and splitting polygons, gone. I use maya 8.5 PLE, which I've started to wonder wether thats the problem. Has anyone experienced or heard of maya PLE giving problems?

Chirone 28-08-2008 03:54 PM

attached is the extrusion tool on a set of faces on a sphere

click what i circled

sometimes clicking it wont have an effect because there's nothing to change

just as a real simple example, it extends to everything, if you take a face on a cube and click extrude then no matter how many times you get mouse-button-happy on hat double circle you wont see anything change because there's nothing to change

as for your panel view being doubled, just use Panels > Othographic > Side

i don't understand why you're using view > predefined bookmarks

i never even knew such menu existed :confused:

oh yeah, i just discovered more hot keys when i was going to push 5 i pushed f5 instead

f2 = Animation menu set
f3 = Polygon menu set
f4 = Sufaces menu set
f5 = Dynamics menu set
f6 = Rendering menu set

ben hobden, i don't know why you would be losing your saved work. Maybe you think you're saving it but it doesn't? sometimes the keyboard input stops working entirely and you can only use mouse input, in that case you have to manually save with the mouse instead of the keyboard (annoying...i know) and restart Maya or sometimes the computer

Chirone 28-08-2008 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
woops, forgot to attach picture