Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Technical Issues (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   GeForce 6150 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21627)

TaylorHuston 21-05-2006 04:13 AM

GeForce 6150

Hi. I know there has been a lot of posts about this on a lot of the forums but I'm not entirely sure how to fix my problem. I use Maya 7 PLE for school. I just bought a nice computer. X2 4200, 2g of RAM, very sexy. Only problem is that Maya crashes after about 30 seconds. I'm pretty sure this is because I have integrated Nvidia 6150 LE graphics. I have gathered that I somehow need to convert it to a Quadro card in order for Maya to work, but since it is integrated I don't know how to do it. Can it be done and if so is there a website that provides a good straightforward tutorial on hwo to do it? Alot of forum posts say "download RivaTuner and convert your card to a Quaddro" but I can't figure out how to do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankx !

Taylor

gster123 21-05-2006 10:30 AM

I'm not sure how you would go about that, is the card a intergrated card as in its part of your motherboard? If so i dont think you can do it, you might be able to but i'm not sure as when people I have heard of have soft modded a nvidia 7 series.

You could go to NVidia's website and try and download the latest drivers as this might help?

Ataraxy 21-05-2006 04:31 PM

I dont think you can convert a integrated video into the quadro.. from what I understand you can convert the 6800 to a quadro by soft modding.. I have one and looked into it and never got around to doing it. Also you may want to purchase a new video card since integrated video suck anyhow. sounds like a nice rig, make sure you have a pci-x16 slot before you go card shopping, as I doubt it would have a old AGP slot.

g'luck

TaylorHuston 21-05-2006 10:32 PM

I have every intention of getting a newer video card eventually. I normally I would have built the computre myself with SLI but this rig was $850. Not bag for 2 gigs of ram AND an X2 processor. I just need some way to get it to run Maya until I can afford a better card.

Ataraxy 22-05-2006 02:27 AM

right on, i understand. check under your bios and see if you can change the amount of memory ur video has double it since you have 2gb of RAM and of course update the drivers..
that's about all else I can think of doing except maybe checking to see if the video is that actual cause of the crashing.. check the log file of maya and see what it says.

TaylorHuston 22-05-2006 02:32 AM

I found out a way to fix it. After exhaustive forum searching I acutally found the answer on a german Maya forum. I couldn't Google translated the page, but it still didnt make a lot of sense. The only thing I could understand is one guy suggested when you run Maya to open the task manager, right click on Maya.exe, click affinity. I've never been in that menu before. It has a list of boxes from cpu 0 to cpu 24. Only cpu 0 and cpu 1 are selectable the rest are grayed out. Both were checked. If I uncheck one of them it seems to work fine. So anyways I fixed the problem, but I have no idea what it was I did :D.

Ataraxy 22-05-2006 02:58 AM

crazy.. mine are checked and working. goona try and see what it does with it off

TaylorHuston 22-05-2006 03:00 AM

Im still curious as to what exaclty I am turning off? I thought since it was two "cpus" and I have a dual core maybe it had something to do with that.

Ataraxy 14-06-2006 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by TaylorHuston
I have every intention of getting a newer video card eventually. I normally I would have built the computre myself with SLI but this rig was $850. Not bag for 2 gigs of ram AND an X2 processor. I just need some way to get it to run Maya until I can afford a better card.
rip out the CPU.. RAM and perhaps sound card.. PSU.. the ROM drives and buy another motherboard that supports SLI since you know how to put together a computer.

Edit: sum- just change out the mobo and buy a card and perhaps another one for the SLI you want for a little more money.