Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Maya Basics & Newbie Lounge (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   round indent (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25621)

jtg91 26-03-2007 01:05 AM

round indent

How would you go around indenting a round shape in a polygon? thanks josh

gster123 26-03-2007 03:42 AM

I would use the split poly tool to make the circle then extrude the face inwards, trying to keep the geo all quads, I would then bevel the edge of the circle (at the top and the bottom) making the bavels offset to suit the sharpness of the indent you want. You could use a boolian but it would probably cause more problems, unless you know what your doing with them i.e matching vertexes prior to making the boolian operation.

wasatch5_sparticus 26-03-2007 07:58 AM

Well, if it's like a piece of metal that got hit pretty hard in one spot, then I'd just sculpt it with the geometry sculpt tool.

Sparticus

jtg91 26-03-2007 11:02 AM

well its for my phone model it just to make the buttons look like they can be pressed. thank you

wasatch5_sparticus 08-04-2007 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jtg91
well its for my phone model it just to make the buttons look like they can be pressed. thank you
Yeah, I'd probably just use the sculpt geometry tool under the "polygon" menu bar. It has several settings that you can change to tickle your fancy.

NeoStrider 08-04-2007 06:39 PM

i can't help but mention, since i'm not sure if it's a given, that you ARE allowed to model buttons and the like seperate from the actual phone's geometry... then just have them intersect. having all the buttons, speaker holes, microphone holes, and other items as part of the original mesh does nothing but create headaches.

jtg91 08-04-2007 08:39 PM

There not part of the original mesh but i got told to make indents to make the buttons look like they can get pushed in so it looks better but i was wondering how do u make circle indents i can only do square

NeoStrider 09-04-2007 10:46 AM

a lot of people will not like this suggestion, but try creating an object that resembles the indent you want to put in your mesh, and then perform a boolean subtract. i'm assuming that you want to create one of these indents for each button, so the best suggestion (to avoid a boolean error and having both objects just disappear) is to create all the 'indent objects' and then combine them all so they're technically one poly object. then have that new object intersect with the mes you want to indent from, and perform your boolean subtract.

jtg91 09-04-2007 03:28 PM

im not touching booleans lol me and them dont get on atall i cant do them to save my life

publicFunction 09-04-2007 04:37 PM

Try this if booleans are not your thing.

then you are going to get a decent looking hole into your geo. Try it by:
  • Duplicate the button geometry
  • Perform a boolean subtract (select the main geo and then select the button)
  • Select all the edges of the top most edge loop and perform a bevel operation and ammend the setting in the channel box to your liking.
This only covers one button, but to perform this on all 11 or so buttons, duplicate the button until you have the required amount and then place them in the required position. Combine them into one (Polygon > Combine or Mesh > Combine) piece of Geo and follow the above steps.

Good Luck.