Simply Maya User Community

Simply Maya User Community (https://simplymaya.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work In Progress (https://simplymaya.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   W.I.P: Special Ops M-4 (https://simplymaya.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14463)

mclimer 25-11-2004 03:05 AM

W.I.P: Special Ops M-4

1 Attachment(s)
Hey all, working on some ideas for my final thesis project. Just wanted to get some feedback. It's an M-4, with the CAR collapsable stock, M-203 grenade launcher, and the AimPoint red dot sight. If they let me go with the idea at my midpoint, I'll do the rest of the character, boots to helmet. Any feedback would be great.

DJbLAZER 25-11-2004 03:16 AM

looks awesome

3Demon 25-11-2004 03:23 AM

Looks really cool, but I think some of the edges are too sharp around the model.... just bevel those down and it'll look a lot better :)

mclimer 25-11-2004 04:18 AM

Thanks guys, but 3Demon, you think you could be a bit more specific. There are more than a few edges in that model, so if you wouldn't mind pointing out the problem areas, it would be appreciated.

Turbo Dan 25-11-2004 04:58 AM

is that one solid model or is there pieces attached to it?
some incredible work
very nice, ill be waiting for a textured version

FubaR 25-11-2004 02:03 PM

jep...very nice modeling.

RubberChicken 25-11-2004 03:18 PM

Very detailed, gr8 job!

roach105 25-11-2004 03:30 PM

that is some very nice modelling. Keep it up. Should look great textured

happymat27 25-11-2004 07:21 PM

Mighty mighty fine work there sir, hats off to you! Not much else to say really apart from keep it up!! Cheers,

Mat.

uberstonks 28-11-2004 03:36 PM

Great detail in there :)

MainlineX 28-11-2004 06:24 PM

Nice work!! Very good attention to detail, nice one..:):)

ereitz 28-11-2004 08:34 PM

nice mechanical modeling work.

I looked at it hard and the only edge that struck me as being unnaturally hard was the end of the barrel. If there's going to be bevels on machined steel edges it's got to be so miniscule it's hardly perceptable.

also looking forward to texturing and perhaps seeing it in action... ;)

3Demon 29-11-2004 10:36 AM

sorry, was away for a while and missed the thread.... overall, it juse really depends on how close you're going to be seeing this model. The end of the barrel does look a little sharp but the base of the cartridge just looks way sharp at the moment. It's just the part of the image that jumps out and makes it look a little off, even a slight bevel would look great there and stop your gaze resting on a sharp area.

:)

mclimer 29-11-2004 07:41 PM

Hey thanks 3Deamon. I'll get in there and bevel that a bit more. in reality though, the base of the magazine is made of two pieces of stamped steel held together by bent over tabs. So the edges would be really quite hard. The barrel was my mistake. It was modeled to be smoothed, but I forgot to hit that part. Thanks again to everyone for the posative feedback. I'll keep you all posted as I model the different parts of the soldier.

blomkaal 29-11-2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mclimer
in reality though, the base of the magazine is made of two pieces of stamped steel held together by bent over tabs. So the edges would be really quite hard.
I guess that varies then... I just finished my term of service in may, and our clips were made of plastic... The standard assault rifle in the Danish infantry is (I think) a modified version of the M-16, and the runners (I think they're called that) get a modified version of the M4... Check the links I made in the other M4 thread if there's any doubt regarding which weapons I'm talking about...

-Blomkaal